• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

actuarial, law or comp sc?? - help!!! (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
Meyero, it would seem that our working relationship is kicking off on the wrong foot!

I have no doubt that there will be 5 or 6 others from UNSW working in PwC Actuarial over the summer and I look forward to working with them :)

I have met many co-op students and have found them to be well rounded, friendly, talented individuals who are very good at what they do.

As for the intake this summer, I was referring to the 'Vacationer' intake that (I think) doesn't include the co-op program. This would have been relevant information for the_pun who probably wouldn't have gone through the co-op program, had he/she chosen Actuarial.

All of the universities in Australia are good for Actuarial studies, but I'm sure that you would agree that there is nothing wrong with a little bit of University pride. :)

See you this summer.

ND

HSC
meyero said:
Don't worry keep thinking Macquarie is the best uni for actuarial mate :rolleyes:
Dude everyone knows that mac's the best for actuarial, there's no point trying to fight it.

meyero

HSC
Haha, yes you are correct Isaaq (or Rizal?), i guess vacationer intake does not include co-ops. However i think that i will be with the vacationers because they got me to start on the 5th of December, is that when you start? I am only a first year so i doubt i will be able to do what you can tho :)

While on the subject of university pride... it may be that Macquarie has the best actuarial course but UNSW has undoubtedly got the most talented students which i believe will result shortly in UNSW being the premier University for actuarial in the State. The reason i say this is because of the large amount of very high achieving students choosing to complete their degree at UNSW. Just a couple of weeks ago sitting in my row in a tute were the people who topped the state in 4unit maths, 2 unit maths, economics, and many others who all got 99 in 4unit last year. So yer go UNSW hehe, let's ignore the fact that mac is 10 mins from my house and it takes an hour to get 2 UNSW and most of my friends go to mac :)

santaslayer

HSC
meyero said:
Haha, yes you are correct Isaaq (or Rizal?), i guess vacationer intake does not include co-ops. However i think that i will be with the vacationers because they got me to start on the 5th of December, is that when you start? I am only a first year so i doubt i will be able to do what you can tho :)

While on the subject of university pride... it may be that Macquarie has the best actuarial course but UNSW has undoubtedly got the most talented students which i believe will result shortly in UNSW being the premier University for actuarial in the State. The reason i say this is because of the large amount of very high achieving students choosing to complete their degree at UNSW. Just a couple of weeks ago sitting in my row in a tute were the people who topped the state in 4unit maths, 2 unit maths, economics, and many others who all got 99 in 4unit last year. So yer go UNSW hehe, let's ignore the fact that mac is 10 mins from my house and it takes an hour to get 2 UNSW and most of my friends go to mac :)
omg...ur're bordering stoopidness...lol

mac is 10mins away from u and u go unsw?

mac has a lot of high achieving students as well. :p

^___^
HSC
meyero said:

wow!!!

i never knew this has become a popularity contest!

ND

HSC
meyero said:
The "talented" students that do actuarial at UNSW are usually there because of UNSW's maths department. Also, how do you know UNSW has the "most" talented students?? In my year we've got the guy who topped maths a James Ruse (2nd in state i think), and a hardcore Singaporean dude who tops every subject with almost 100 (which is significally harder to get at mac than at unsw). This guy would rip the face of pretty much anyone at UNSW.

santaslayer

HSC
lol, this is becomming a "who has the smartest people in their uni" contest.

who gives a fuck. id only give a fuck if I was the guy u people were talking about. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I haven't read all of the other replies - just responding for myself as requested via PM.

the_pun said:
I have started to think about a double degree in Law and Science (majoring in mathematics or computing science) as it would be a wide field in terms of employment opportunities, and quite interesting and challenging a course. Would this be too heavy a workload - would I still have time to play wknd sports?
You'd certainly still have time to play weekend sports. I generally wouldn't ever do any study on weekends (unless we have an assignment or an exam is upcoming).

There could potentially be time issues if you chose one of the traditional sciences (physics, chemistry) because they require you to attend a lot of lab sessions, but I have friends who have combined those programs with law and who still have (quite good) social lives.

the_pun said:
How heavy is the workload for law by itself?
This is an extroardinarily vague and subjective question.

Some people think it's hard. Some people think it's easy but time-consuming. Some people think it's boring. I think the workload is as heavy as you want to make it. You have to try pretty damn hard to fail a law subject. So the workload really just depends on how high you want your marks to be.

the_pun said:
My other thought is a double degree in Mathematics and Computer Science, as it sounds very enjoyable, but I'm not sure as to how good this would be in terms of employment opportunities?
If you're backing it with law, don't worry about it. Seriously. Won't be an issue.

the_pun

HSC
Lazarus said:
I haven't read all of the other replies - just responding for myself as requested via PM.

You'd certainly still have time to play weekend sports. I generally wouldn't ever do any study on weekends (unless we have an assignment or an exam is upcoming).

There could potentially be time issues if you chose one of the traditional sciences (physics, chemistry) because they require you to attend a lot of lab sessions, but I have friends who have combined those programs with law and who still have (quite good) social lives.

This is an extroardinarily vague and subjective question.

Some people think it's hard. Some people think it's easy but time-consuming. Some people think it's boring. I think the workload is as heavy as you want to make it. You have to try pretty damn hard to fail a law subject. So the workload really just depends on how high you want your marks to be.

If you're backing it with law, don't worry about it. Seriously. Won't be an issue.
ok thanks heaps for ur reply Laz it is very helpful :) and just wondering, how do u personally find comp sc? is it heavily maths orientated, and do u enjoy it? and have u always wanted to do law, or did u decide that u wanted to do it after u went to uni or when u got ur HSC results back?

Thank you!

santaslayer

HSC
the_pun said:
ok thanks heaps for ur reply Laz it is very helpful :) and just wondering, how do u personally find comp sc? is it heavily maths orientated, and do u enjoy it? and have u always wanted to do law, or did u decide that u wanted to do it after u went to uni or when u got ur HSC results back?

Thank you!
he transferred after first year..i believe...

from what degree...i forget?

^___^
HSC
yes
James originally went to USYD, enrolled with a Science-related degree(i think it is Computing Science, or could be Adv Sci as flyin' said)
but nonetheless, the man is now studying in UNSW, enrolled in B CompSci - B Law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)