Actuarial or Engineering? (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Considering a possibility of doing a double degree, I was wondering which would be better suited for me, more considerate of my interests than marks. Although I would most likely only do a single degree of Commerce, I'd still like to think about the possibility of a double degree.

Currently I am leaning towards the Commerce side of things, and less rather Physics related. But I also like Technological fields regarding computers and all. I do enjoy mathematics despite not being a god at it, and wish to ask your opinion on what you think is better in regards of my circumstances.
I recognise that I prefer a less practical course but still wouldn't like something that would bore me quickly. However engineering is fairly versatile for jobs & also future considerations. I've heard that Actuarial becomes very gruelling and many students drop the course after a few years, but the degree is rewarding to have when you get a job in such a field.

Currently I'm unsure on what kind of things I want to do, which makes it even harder. For people who have been in a similar position, what kind of factors influenced your decisions in picking one or another?

Also, I'd like to ask, UNSW's listing of BEngineering is rather broad, does this cover Mechanical, Software etc?

turntaker

HSC
UNSW has B.Engineering in many different areas. You can choose which one you apply for exactly through UAC.

I would personally advice against double degrees unless its something that you really want to learn about. The thing that most people don't realize is that when you do a double degree, you will lose a lot of electives based on one degree and might not even get a major in it. (You would only do the core subjects)
In terms of jobs, employers don't really care about how many degrees you have.
However if you still want to do a double degree stay away from actuarial if you are "not good" at maths.
Since you mentioned that you like computing, doing computer science over software engineering in a double degree would be wiser since there are less core subjects in CS which means you can do more commerce based subjects and will finish in less time. (CS = 3 years, SE (or any engineering) is 4 years.)

Flop21

HSC
Check the list in here:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3707.html

Those are all the different types of eng you can do.

UNSW has B.Engineering in many different areas. You can choose which one you apply for exactly through UAC.

I would personally advice against double degrees unless its something that you really want to learn about. The thing that most people don't realize is that when you do a double degree, you will lose a lot of electives based on one degree and might not even get a major in it. (You would only do the core subjects)
In terms of jobs, employers don't really care about how many degrees you have.
However if you still want to do a double degree stay away from actuarial if you are "not good" at maths.
Since you mentioned that you like computing, doing computer science over software engineering in a double degree would be wiser since there are less core subjects in CS which means you can do more commerce based subjects and will finish in less time. (CS = 3 years, SE (or any engineering) is 4 years.)
UNSW you don't do electives if you do a double degree. I don't mind this. But obviously yes this means you can only pick subjects from the 2 schools you're doing a degree in. I don't mind this at all (I'm doing a double degree). Because you have to fill those electives with something anyway (I've met many people kind of wasting their electives IMO), might as well get another degree out of it.

turntaker

HSC
Check the list in here:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3707.html

Those are all the different types of eng you can do.

UNSW you don't do electives if you do a double degree. I don't mind this. But obviously yes this means you can only pick subjects from the 2 schools you're doing a degree in. I don't mind this at all (I'm doing a double degree). Because you have to fill those electives with something anyway (I've met many people kind of wasting their electives IMO), might as well get another degree out of it.
CS electives = major
I don't see how that's not important

Flop21

HSC
CS electives = major
I don't see how that's not important
Um I don't really understand that.

The handbook is really confusing to me in regards to double degrees. But it says this: "The flexibility of the Computer Science Program electives allows double majors within the program" on the double degree page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)