"Actuarial PASS", To all the 1st Actuarial students (1 Viewer)

lawforever

HSC
As a new idea of ASOC, we gtta organise actuarial "PASS" classes this year whereby 2nd year ppl provide 1st year with academic support. it is understandable that some 1st year students are having difficulties with Math1151. so we will have a few qualified and responsible pass tutors who give help mainly with Maths and VBA (Visual basic applications and excel will be the important part of ACTL1001 in session2)

The PASS timetable is almost done and hopefully we will make an announcement and handout the information sheet in the math1151 lecture this week or next week.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol u dun even do actl anymore:p.... no u wont be paid i dont think.

first years: i highly recommend this if have any trouble or need any help

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
lol u dun even do actl anymore:p.... no u wont be paid i dont think.

first years: i highly recommend this if have any trouble or need any help
im a declared actuarial studies/stats major so :p

basically, its pass for math1151. i can help if there is PASS for that.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah aim for a passs in a pass class

i'd called it the Acturial HD class:p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmmm from what i still remember, first calculus test was on curve sketching, simple differentiation??

to answer all your questions.
How tough does MATH1151 get?
As tough as it can get, but not like hard work and dedication cannot overcome its difficulty. As long as you can keep up with the work, then you will be fine.
Not to scare you or anything :p but calculus will get very very hard compared to the things you are doing now and if you not up to it you will start getting very confused
Algebra is easier because you have the textbook which has all theory and other things which you need to know. Calculus will be the harder and more challenging factor in MATH1151.

6/10 well it really depends on what everyone else got. There will always be some people who will get really high marks and those who don't. Difficulty and marks are all relative to how everyone feels and does. Maybe it was the fact that it was your first uni assessment and you were nervous...just keep trying

there will not be any scaling on the assessments which you do. ie: class tests and matlab tests. But there will be scaling for the final exam, which really is up to what the lecturers feel like...

With scaling and everything, you will still get what you rightly deserve so don't depend on it. If you deserve to get a HD then you will, if you didn't do well and deserve to fail...well you will no doubt get it.

Will marks get boosted (like 4u)...
No, marks will no way be massively scaled like 4u. Don't forget the HSC system sucks and no one with half a brain can possibly fail.

Last edited:

lawforever

HSC
I still need to talk to Sherris and the dean David Morgan and see how the conversation goes....

also may need to get the permission from Maths Department..

lota of stuff to settle.

lawforever

HSC
Carl, there is no pay for being the tutor of the peer support class, unfortunately.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
calculus first test is revision.

ftr11 said:
how tough does MATH1151 get? for ma 1st assessment calculus, i only got 6/10...wich is like only a mere pass...
so im wondering is there inter-school scaling, so say if the average at the end is bloody poor, will marks get boosted (eg like 4u hsc maths)...

ok the class quizes hardly make a difference at the end of the day tho, as it is only 22%( ithink it was) and 1 of the 6 wont count. 6/10 in the 1st quiz isnt bad at all because alot of people arent use to uni yet, but the maths quizes do get harder. but the thing with 1151 is that as long as you dont fall too far behind you'll do ok. also the quiz questions are pretty standard and similar to textbook/past exams so it will be easier to study for if you are up to date

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i would still like to help with Actuarial pass regardless of whether there is any pay or not. let me know k?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ftr11 said:
thanks for ur replies....

hey, even if you guys don't get paid...i wouldn't mind paying up a few dollars or so to get someone help us with maths1151 and have some tips for ur time to help us young'uns...(or alternatively, anyone recommend some MATHS STEROIDS??)

i remember before the calculus test, there were like 10+ peoples crammed up in David Tacon's office, asking all these questions from inverse injective/surjective/bijective queries to drawing grpahs, finding domains/codomains etc which we all nodded blankly (to save embarrasment) from his responses...

yea, it is true 22% for the 5 best tests out of 6
da average for our class was 6.3, but other tutors havent put up their scores, so no one really knows how da 150 of us fared...no calculator, and too lil time made it a bitch...

btw if i didnt do 4u, only 3u, does dat make me disadvantageous to math1151/1251...

many thanks in advance...
lol its only the first test. so stressed over 3unit maths revision!?

lawforever

HSC
§eraphim said:
i would still like to help with Actuarial pass regardless of whether there is any pay or not. let me know k?

No problem. I will let you know if we need you in any aspect. thanx for saying that, carl.

lawforever

HSC
week 5 or 6. Hopefully

Its name is actuarial peer mentoring scheme

next session we will have a ACTL1001 pass thing

maniacguy

lawforever said:
week 5 or 6. Hopefully

Its name is actuarial peer mentoring scheme

next session we will have a ACTL1001 pass thing

I should point out that on Monday - Thursday (during either 10-12 or 1-3) the School of Mathematics Student Support Scheme is in operation.

The SSS is basically designed for first-year maths questions (with the exception of discrete maths, which is at the discretion of the tutors - if there are too many people with math1011/1131 questions you'll likely be asked to come again another time).

All tutors are either fourth years (or above) or are third years who have done very well in first year maths (generally this means at least 90 in each of the first year subjects).

That said, the Actuarial PASS idea is a good one, and I'm sure it will take off!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)