• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Actuarial Studies in uni? (1 Viewer)

Tsylana

HSC
Well... up until recently i was wanting to do actuarial studies in uni, now i'm just sorta really confused about what i wanted to be, i know i wanted an economics/math based job and i sorta suited the whole accountant type thing but i wanted to aim for a more high powered job... but whenever I see the hand outs UNSW and USYD give me they always seem to give actuarial studies a really short mention and then when i look at course UAI and such things its never there...? Does anyone know why?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Tsylana said:
Well... up until recently i was wanting to do actuarial studies in uni, now i'm just sorta really confused about what i wanted to be, i know i wanted an economics/math based job and i sorta suited the whole accountant type thing but i wanted to aim for a more high powered job... but whenever I see the hand outs UNSW and USYD give me they always seem to give actuarial studies a really short mention and then when i look at course UAI and such things its never there...? Does anyone know why?
You will rarely see the mentions of the actuarial studies from both USYD & UNSW. That is because USYD does not provide an actuarial course and in UNSW, actuarial studies is merely a branch of the large commerce degree in UNSW.

If you go to Macquarie University website, you will be able to see UAI cut-off for the Actuarial degree which is about 95 for single course and 96-97 for combined degree.

Tsylana

HSC
Sweet, yeah i saw Macquarie uni heh. I didn't really wanna go there though... I woulda thought that those two universities would of been the one to have it ><" oh well... still got time till i actually choose what I have to do ><"

HSC
Tsylana said:
accounting is not really maths nor economics. actuarial studies or economics may be more for you. the reason why unsw and usyd dont have a uai for acturial studies is because there is no seperate degree for it. for unsw you can major in actuarial studies if you are doing a commerce degree and for usyd there is not really a major nor degree for actuarial studies and you are better to look else where. i heard however maquarie has a reputable acturial studies degree.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
yeh i heard Macquarie's Actuarial Studies degrees are probably the best offered in Sydney, but if you look at Australia National University (ANU) in Canberra, although the UAI is lower than MQ or UNSW, they hav the best act studies course in australia (from wat ive heard).

to see the courses you can do in order to become an associate or fellow Actuary, check the Institute of Actuaries of Australia (IAA) website. its a very rigourous course and takes the hell out of you, and it is highly mathematical and analytical. 4unit maths is assumed knowledge.

also, if u take a look at UNSW co-op scholarship website, u will find that they offer a co-op for BCom major in actuarial studies, which the elite program to get into!

gl!

Tsylana

HSC
Yeah at the moment i'm only really liking maths and physics... I haven't really gotten into economics because it seems so incredibly easy ><". Since theres no such thing as a 3U physics course or anything i guess i'm gonna be taking up 4U maths and putting a whole lot of effort into that so yeah. Gotta <3 math =P.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
gud luck, i hear 4unit aint that hard if u giv it enuff time... mayb thts y i didnt do it coz i didnt wanna spend time on it.

Tsylana

HSC
Well i had pretty much massively crammed the year 11 & 12 2U syllabus into my head at the end of year 10... and i've pretty much absolutely relieved myself of any possible stress that could come from 2/3U math this year because I have had a good knowledge base knowing all the essentials and doing alot of examples... so yeah... I haven't actually learned anything whats so ever in math this year, so i'm hoping that gives me some time to top my marks in physics/economics and with the spare time i've had i've occasionally done some work on Volumes/Complex #s in 4U math but yeah... i've also done some of the harder 3U questions in the patel textbook but my knowledge didn't seem good enough to do the actual 4U topics mostly... struggled alot heh.. but i still got 1 year and a bit to get it right, im sure i can do it given the motivation / effort.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
Tsylana said:
Well i had pretty much massively crammed the year 11 & 12 2U syllabus into my head at the end of year 10... and i've pretty much absolutely relieved myself of any possible stress that could come from 2/3U math this year because I have had a good knowledge base knowing all the essentials and doing alot of examples... so yeah... I haven't actually learned anything whats so ever in math this year, so i'm hoping that gives me some time to top my marks in physics/economics and with the spare time i've had i've occasionally done some work on Volumes/Complex #s in 4U math but yeah... i've also done some of the harder 3U questions in the patel textbook but my knowledge didn't seem good enough to do the actual 4U topics mostly... struggled alot heh.. but i still got 1 year and a bit to get it right, im sure i can do it given the motivation / effort.
DUDE! wtf? lol, ur doing GREAT! congrats on all the hard work, n yeh u got 1 hell of a year to go! ull be a pro at 4unit dnt worry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)