Actuarial Studies + Law...worth it? (1 Viewer)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
commerce / law... actuarial comes under commerce

kartman

HSC
well at unimelb they strongly recommened against doing a law/acturial studies or engineering/acturial studies double. i dont know why excatly though

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's because
A) It's a HUGE workload, and
B) They do NOT go well together... at all...

I can understand how people at mq bank might respect comm/law students, this makes sense to me with most commerce majors, but Actutarial does not mix with law at all.

bong

HSC
add my two (probably worthless) cents..

actuarial/law would be useful (or so i've heard) in an executive type of role...

if thats where u want to go.. sure... otherwise... its a huge workload... acst is hard enough as it is

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
its a huge workload...but I do believe that B Com (Actuarial Studies)/LLB is a very good combination, its just like Com / Law but you gain specific quantitative skills (through acst2xy and 3xy subjects) that gives one a distinct advantage in IB...You must understand quantitative skills are in huge demand, and risk management as well...it'd only be 'useless' for perhaps Corporate Law...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I can understand why they would want someone with commerce / law, majoring in perhaps IB, but why actuarial / law?
u can major in IB? o_O

p.s adding to supra's comment, quantitative skills in acst/law is one advantage u have against lots of other com law ppls

edit: o shit he said that nvm XD

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
u can major in IB? o_O

p.s adding to supra's comment, quantitative skills in acst/law is one advantage u have against lots of other com law ppls

edit: o shit he said that nvm XD
lol u and me think alike <3

No u cannot major in IB...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
just be careful of the description of "workload". doing a double degree doesnt give you a larger workload, but you have to spend longer time at uni. this is generally speaking, where you'd do 4 subjects a semester (albeit difficult ones)

i've always been under the opinion that doing Bachelor of XXX/LLB > Bachelor of XXX, in terms of getting a job and progressing through to higher positions.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yep, law is very useful... glad someone shares my pt of view

i think me and asylum had an argument over this before XD

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
OK, I have a feeling I'm going to get killed by people in my course
Oh well at least I'll die rich. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
just be careful of the description of "workload".
Yeah ive been doing arts and media, and probably do a harder workload than most people doing 'harder' degrees :p

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
mmmm another question comes 2 mind...

is it better doing commerce-actuarial studies + law at Maq or UNSW?
sorry, this question has prolly been answered so many times to the nth degree, but heck.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
UNSW. Better law degree. Plus, you can easily change from Actuarial Studies to another major without incurring the loss of a good degree.

Actuarial Boy
HSC
§eraphim said:
UNSW. Better law degree. Plus, you can easily change from Actuarial Studies to another major without incurring the loss of a good degree.
agrred, unsw is beter... and its 5 yrs at unsw and 6 at mac

apparnatly wen my friend chose acst/law it said 5 yrs in the uac book haha he got screwed over... 6 yrs at uni zzzzzzzz too long

_Alfie_

HSC
Heh, I decided to do law and ACST at Macquarie simply cause it was closer to home (ima so lazy, actually my was UAI was more than enough to get into the combined law/acst at UNSW). Btw you might want to check the 5 yr thing at UNSW, not sure if that program includes the part IIs, as the Macq course does. Also ACST is much better at Macq in my opinion, they have a stronger foundation in the profession and when it comes to the control cycle, the Macq lecturers wrote the official institute text for the course :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)