Actuarial Studies with Law (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Are there anyone who are doing this and finding it okay to cope?

I am having a second thought about doing JUST Actuarial Studies so I thought Actuarial Studies with Law would be an interesting combination (like Med + Law Combination lol)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

I am having a second thought about doing JUST Actuarial Studies so I thought Actuarial Studies with Law would be an interesting combination (like Med + Law Combination lol)

I have a couple of friends who are undertaking this combination. All of my friends are coping well, but obviously there will be people who struggle. In my opinion, I don't think you'd struggle Lyounamu, in fact go for it!! ^^

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I have a couple of friends who are undertaking this combination. All of my friends are coping well, but obviously there will be people who struggle. In my opinion, I don't think you'd struggle Lyounamu, in fact go for it!! ^^
thanks ^_^

dvse

HSC
N/A

Interesting and remarkably pointless... Accounting is much more useful, or even finance/economics. If you are interested in maths, do pure maths, not actuarial.

plumjubed

HSC
are u abt to enrol in it? i know a few people who take it, most of them find it a bit hectic. law itself is crazy enough, so if u want both, good luck =P if u want to do maths like dvse suggests, u'd be way better off doing a combined commerce and science degree: commerce major - actuarial studies, science majors - mathematics, statistics.

Last edited:

plumjubed

HSC
Interesting and remarkably pointless... Accounting is much more useful, or even finance/economics. If you are interested in maths, do pure maths, not actuarial.
a lot of maths pple i kno cant stand pure maths. there's always applied maths or statistics instead.

dvse

HSC
N/A
a lot of maths pple i kno cant stand pure maths. there's always applied maths or statistics instead.
I would argue that then they are not really "maths people" at all....

plumjubed

HSC
I would argue that then they are not really "maths people" at all....
oh because u think that a maths person should like all 3 - pure maths, applied maths + stats? a fair proportion of the top maths pple ive met dont actually like pure maths. ive met some who like pure maths, but then they dont like applied math xD

dvse

HSC
N/A
oh because u think that a maths person should like all 3 - pure maths, applied maths + stats? a fair proportion of the top maths pple ive met dont actually like pure maths. ive met some who like pure maths, but then they dont like applied math xD
Someone not familiar with "pure maths" at the very least at the level of the four year degree is not a mathematician in any sense of the word, applied or not.

plumjubed

HSC
Someone not familiar with "pure maths" at the very least at the level of the four year degree is not a mathematician in any sense of the word, applied or not.
=/ a co-worker did actuarial studies, maths, statistics but told me pure maths was rather abstract and he doesnt kno how he'll ever use it. he's now gone into actuarial. do u like pure maths? ive always found stats more interesting, its just my opinion, i find pure maths a bit out there xD

dvse

HSC
N/A
=/ a co-worker did actuarial studies, maths, statistics but told me pure maths was rather abstract and he doesnt kno how he'll ever use it. he's now gone into actuarial. do u like pure maths? ive always found stats more interesting, its just my opinion, i find pure maths a bit out there xD
I'm not trying to say that it's bad not to like maths, only that if you don't you are not a "maths person"! One way to look at it is that mathematics is about finding powerful general ways to think about problems, not any specific problems! It is, however, vastly easier to understand a lot of "applied" maths / statistics with a background in pure maths, it also prevents "algorithmic" thinking where people just memorize procedures....

Here is an interesting application of pure maths to something actuaries would use - it can provide pretty strong intuition for applied modelling:

Information geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
I'm doing law atm and a bunch of my friends are doing actuarial/law. they're coping ok, but they don't get a lot of sleep. or time to anything else but study. what uni were you planning on going to?

plumjubed

HSC
I'm not trying to say that it's bad not to like maths, only that if you don't you are not a "maths person"! One way to look at it is that mathematics is about finding powerful general ways to think about problems, not any specific problems! It is, however, vastly easier to understand a lot of "applied" maths / statistics with a background in pure maths, it also prevents "algorithmic" thinking where people just memorize procedures....

Here is an interesting application of pure maths to something actuaries would use - it can provide pretty strong intuition for applied modelling:

Information geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
oh ive done a small amount of that in my courses, its interesting and quite clever, but not quite gripping to me xD are u doing a maths degree with pure? that makes u an advanced sci student then eh

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
You may as well do it. I looked into it, and according to the woman I spoke to, the subjects you do for actuarial studies in 1st yr (which replace qma and qma) are credited so that if you decide to drop actuarial after the first yr and pick up another major you will not have to do qma/b to make up for missing them in first yr.

So basically you have a year to decide whether or not you like it and want to continue.

That said, i'm glad I decided against it, because i dont think I wouldve stuck with it given the workload.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^Hm...Thanks. I am glad that I can always leave that option open.

I'm doing law atm and a bunch of my friends are doing actuarial/law. they're coping ok, but they don't get a lot of sleep. or time to anything else but study. what uni were you planning on going to?
I was thinking UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)