Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

mmmk

HSC
A question for those currently doing actuarial studies: what's the workload like and what kind of work do you get? statistics? or more economics based?

IceOnFire

HSC
For first year you are doing pure maths, which is basically 4unit + more.. WAY MORE

The hard thing is you've got to understand and learn all of it in 12 weeks.

In second semster of first yr you begin the first actuarial course, which is an introduction. I think the actl courses in second yr revolves more around statistics, probability and applications.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
I don't know about the structure at UNSW but at Macq we do a mixture of econ, stat and maths in the first year. Then some econ with plenty of stat and some non-statistical actuarial stuff (financial maths is what they call it) in second year. And in 3rd year its all statistics relating to actuarial modelling work (well so fat it has been).

Anyway why waste your time at UNSW? Just come to Macq :p

schmeichung

HSC
UNSW is able to give more flexibility & option by offering a single degree with double majors but MACQ can not. To be honest I don't see any disadvantages studying actuarial in UNSW instead of MACQ.

No I don't think MATH1151/1251 is harder than 4Unit Maths but the contents are apparently much more than 4U. And yes you will need to devote time on studying actuarial. It's more mathematical (statistical) in undergrad study (Part I), but it gets more theoretical, more essay writing and memorising if you determine to be an actuary (Part II+III).

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Yeah but we're getting a new library with robots!

But seriously it doesn't matter where you go to study actuarial studies since the most important part (imo) is getting you exepmtions and hence getting PartI.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
IceOnFire said:
For first year you are doing pure maths, which is basically 4unit + more.. WAY MORE
That's a lie. It's not 4 unit and more. There are students who do actuarial studies who have not done 4 unit.

snake1224

HSC
I'm pretty sure it won't be that much harder than 4 unit...
I didn't do 4U back in the HSC. However I still managed to get a credit for MATH1151 without studying much and I didn't do 90% of the homeworks lol (I know credit might be a bit low for some of you nerds out there haha)

However you have tons of stuff to learn though. When you do MATH1151 and MATH1251 most of the stuff are pure maths. There is also some probabilities and statistics, as well as some stuffs that you don't think they have anything to do with Actuarial Studies at all... You have tons of homework questions every week and you have twice as much lectures/tutorials than other courses as they are consists of two main topics (algebra and calculus). As long as you work hard or you have talents in Maths then it should be alright.

Just F.Y.I., more than half the people in our lectures don't listen to anything - they either talk, read comics, play computer games... etc. or not come to lecture at all (there are always tons of empty seats after the first few weeks) I guess that's why so many people failed LOL

Affinity

HSC
first year is easy if you work.,. gets hard later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)