Actuarial Studies (2 Viewers)

xa

HSC
N/A
Hi I am year 12 student hoping to get into actuary
However, im currently doing 2U maths..
Is their any possible way that i can still transfer into it after doing an undergraduate or bridging course?

thank you

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You will need at least Extension 1 knowledge because during first year Actuarial studies you will be taking 2 math subjects. 1 per semester - MATH1151, MATH1251.

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/choosing-first-year-courses

I can tell you that it is quite advantageous to take Extension 2 mathematics. But Extension 1 should be baseline as alot of concepts will develop from the skills you gain from Extension 1.

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
The extension 1 knowledge is vital. I suppose a bridging course might bring you up to speed (quite a bit of the Ext 1/2 calculus is retaught briefly throughout MATH1151). However, what is more important is having the ability to understand the concepts. If you had the ability to (so far as you can tell) Ext 1 or 2 but chose to do 2U for some reason then you are probably capable of picking it up and doing decently. If, though, you did 2U because you were told or know it was all you could manage conceptually, then actuarial studies is probably not for you. Let me know if you have any questions

zhiying

HSC
I'm doing the course and I can tell you that rather than the stuff you learn in 3U (a lot of which are still important), its more about your ability to understand maths and its concepts. Take a bridging course if you want, but do a bit more research on the actuarial program before you decide. Too many people do the course without knowing what they are getting into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)