Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Somehow I found actuarial studies really easy and boring lol.

Around 150 started the first year actuarial studies courses and down to 70-80 doing the second CT5 exemption unit and probably a bit more than half get the exemption. (not compulsory to enroll though)
Last semester I went like <10% lecture and 0% tutorial and got all exemptions marks required from part 1.

It is not easy for everyone, I have friends only got a few exemptions after finishing all the part 1 courses.

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically I was one of those people. I also had the mentality that I could simply get Ds and HDs by working hard. Then you realize that lots of people in the Actuarial cohort come from selective schools and are pretty ready and competent in what they are doing.

I used to be doing actuarial studies, thought the job prospects were quite good, and that you could potentially earn lots of money. Unfortunately not. I heard that only around 30% of people who graduate work in jobs related to the actuarial field. The rest of the work in either finance, economics or even hold retail jobs. Although an actl grad job can pay you anywhere between 60K to 70K, realistically, it's very difficult to get. You also see that the avg starting salary for actl students are around 45K, which are in par with finance/marketing jobs. The real money (i.e. the 150K starting salary for a proper actuary) takes quite a while (around 3-5 years) to get and the passing rate for part III's (in order to get that 150K) is around 30%.

Not worth it if you're doing it for the money. If you want to do a job for the money, either change your mentality or go into chemical engo, software engo, petroleum engineering (what I am doing now) or mining engineering; you can earn 6 figures quite easily within 2-3 years.
I hear the mining boom is slowing down though. Would it still be a good idea to get into the mining sector after getting a degree (so around 5 years time from now), taking this into account?

bloodruby_30

HSC
Guys... should i combine actuarial studies with a cadetship at one of the big 4? or will it be too hard?

mreditor16

HSC
Guys... should i combine actuarial studies with a cadetship at one of the big 4? or will it be too hard?
i don't think thats possible. not sure will need clarification from someone in the know bout this.

bloodruby_30

HSC
Lol! are you sure? where did you hear that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you can

Depends on your majors and how large of a workload you could take

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)