Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

nrumble42

HSC
Hey Guys

So i currently do extension 1 and 2 maths at high school and I've kinda been considering doing actuary at uni, but i was wondering, what kind of maths does it involve? And what maths should you be particularly good at in high school to help with this course

thanks!!

leehuan

HSC
I feel that ACTL1101 just requires you to be extremely capable at handling algebra and also notation. Now that I'm in second year though things such as Newton's Method have appeared and there's a lot more proof based questions as well.

Not everything you learnt in 3/4U is supposed to be the same as what you see in ACTL. It's supposed to build up your mathematical ability in general so that you don't have difficulty or get intimidated by the maths they have in ACTL.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Hey Guys

So i currently do extension 1 and 2 maths at high school and I've kinda been considering doing actuary at uni, but i was wondering, what kind of maths does it involve? And what maths should you be particularly good at in high school to help with this course

thanks!!
Probability, statistics and financial mathematics is what you'll likely be using in your day-to-day work. If you do economics that is important. Moreover, you need to have some basic understanding of writing and reading code (e.g. VBA, SQL and more). Excel will be your tool of choice (at least in the insurance space).

To be honest you'll need to excel at the maths extensions, because you'll need the basis those subjects establish to pass subjects to get your degree. But I can tell you, you're not using complex numbers, trigonometry etc etc as an actuary.

Happy to answer more qu's.

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)