Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
UchihaVegeta said:
Ok thanks, I take it MATH1115 is similar to the UMEP maths done in highschool, except carried out in only 1 semester?
yeah, pretty similar. i didn't do MATH1115 because i got credit for UMEP maths.

UchihaVegeta

HSC
jas0nt said:
for actuarial studies the killer course (of many to come) will be stat2001, which is done in the second semester. my friend kept up to every single lecture, did all the problems, and managed to scrape just a 72.
Will it help to listen in at Quantitative Methods lectures in semester 1 for this STAT2001 in semester 2?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Will it help to listen in at Quantitative Methods lectures in semester 1 for this STAT2001 in semester 2?
stat2001 shits all over stat1008 in terms of difficulty... absolutely no comparison.

math1115 might be a better course to listen to, especially when you learn double integrals.

edit: hahaha, responded to a year-old post...

orangebadkid

HSC
Hi, everyone.

I'm doing actuarial studies in ANU in first year. I want to know about the grades I need to get for keep going well in the future study. A D level is alright or all the courses in first semester need to attach to HD?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Hi, everyone.

I'm doing actuarial studies in ANU in first year. I want to know about the grades I need to get for keep going well in the future study. A D level is alright or all the courses in first semester need to attach to HD?
first year courses are a lot easier than second/third year courses. i'd say STAT2001 you do next semester will open your eyes in terms of what you should be expecting (and then some more) in a B Act s. finance courses don't really tend to get harder, it's much the same if you're doing the theory focused finance units (as opposed to finm3003/7 etc)

if you want to pursue honours in actuarial studies then your academic transcript should be filled with D's and HD's, more so HD's. there's no set rule, it's more of a relative thing (i.e. invite the top x% (i think it's 15%) of graduates into honours)

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
first year courses are a lot easier than second/third year courses. i'd say STAT2001 you do next semester will open your eyes in terms of what you should be expecting (and then some more) in a B Act s. finance courses don't really tend to get harder, it's much the same if you're doing the theory focused finance units (as opposed to finm3003/7 etc)

if you want to pursue honours in actuarial studies then your academic transcript should be filled with D's and HD's, more so HD's. there's no set rule, it's more of a relative thing (i.e. invite the top x% (i think it's 15%) of graduates into honours)
The page for act stud suggests that you only need those marks in the 3000 level STAT courses (most of which are very actuary specific). Although I can't imagine someone getting that in combination with passes for FINM. Something to strive for.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
The page for act stud suggests that you only need those marks in the 3000 level STAT courses (most of which are very actuary specific). Although I can't imagine someone getting that in combination with passes for FINM. Something to strive for.
ah yes true.

if memory serves me right there are 6 STAT3x courses.

vijay1

HSC
stat 2001 doesnt seem that hard so far, its just permutations and combinatorics...easy shit :S

orchiddreams

HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of doing a double degree in Actuarial Studies and something else. Most people tend to do another B Finance, is there a reason for that? I was thinking doing a B Economics on top of Actuaial Studies. What do you think? Would you recommend that?

thanks ^^

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Because finance is the only thing that really compliments it. I think most of the time it's a second degree to fall back on if they change their mind about being an actuary.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
i wouldn't recommend complimenting it with finance. the two degrees overlap too much (in terms of the qual stuff anyway). do something else like accounting or economics with your Act degree.

kingjulian

HSC
I'm doing it in combination with econs, just in case. Is there anywhere we can get the books cheap or secondhand or sth?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I'm doing it in combination with econs, just in case. Is there anywhere we can get the books cheap or secondhand or sth?
latter year students + online (even book depository might have them) + Coop bookstore. Also, the library has alot of subject books on 2hr loan.

I wrote a little bit about it in the faq from memory

kingjulian

HSC
latter year students + online (even book depository might have them) + Coop bookstore. Also, the library has alot of subject books on 2hr loan.

I wrote a little bit about it in the faq from memory
Yah I think i saw that. Haha Thanks. Latter year students sell the books?

Studywizard

HSC
To anyone who has done actuarial. Do you have any tips for the first year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)