actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
lol we all go in with the same fears...like failing actuarial is a possibility or even after doin a semester or 2 u may not like the degree: u can easily change so dont worry, but nsw apparently has better stuff to drop into (e.g engineering or whatever they have a lot of courses there, which is a good thing if u realise by doin actuarial u hate economics and finance :p)

If u really like the actuarial degree (ignoring the difficulty) i.e the work seems interesting etc. go for it, dont b discouraged by its notoriety (and disregard it) coz hten ull never know if u would have done well or not

Just do a lot of reading on the net about other courses too, and see which ones suit u

baby_pea

HSC
yeh, even though some people like some things- they just suck at itim trying to pick something i'll at least finish(and fast) =)

rabdog

ert
HSC
N/A
Can someone inform me of the limitations of going to Melbourne Uni for a Bachelor of Commerce with the intentions of becoming an actuary.
I hear you can also do a Bachelor of science majoring in math&statistics and actuary, is this so? What would be more suitable becoming an actuary?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
1. Melb Uni is just like every other IAA accredited course: you achieve the grade for certain subjects, you'll be exempt from taking exams from the UK course.

2. Curtin Uni is seeking accreditation. Further, I think they have a much lower UAI requirement - from memory a UAI of about 90. Whereas, Macquarie and UNSW are above a UAI of 95.

3. When choosing a career as an actuary, think about the work. Passing is usually a matter of time (at least to become an AIAA it is, ie. Parts I and II), but the work isn't.

4. I don't understand concurrent degrees. You spend more time (two semesters) and more money (I suspect about an extra $1500 or more). You do get two pieces of paper, as opposed to one, but still. I'd recommend doing a {Double Degree then Honours} or {Single Degree then Masters} instead of a Concurrent Degree in 5 years. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)