[actuary] - (2 Viewers)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
uhmm i dont know much about actuary but i did both business and ancient for year 11. still in yr 11 :) but i find ancient much more fun & its much easier & i think it gets marked better than business aswell.

eco is pretty demanding from what i hear. ive never done it though. business is quite a lot to remember. its not hard but u have to remember a lot more than you do for ancient. i also found business rather dry & confusing.. where as ancient was quite interesting =]

theres also a lack of assignments for ancient in yr 11. i havent had a single one & theres a group one coming up which will be my first. but there were two huge business ones. and business doesnt get marked very well. its quite a poor scaler, however that shouldnt affect ur choice. but i think if youre doing physics + ext 2 + eco then business might be a lot of content for you.

i say you take 13units in year 11 just to see which one u prefer, business or ancient. and then you can always drop it. yr 11 is about trial & error to see what suits you best. :) .....

just to keep in mind tho. junior year maths & senior year maths are nothing alike ! i aced all my junior year maths & i havent passed a single 2unit exam this year so now im droppingg =s ....

however if you love maths then it shoudnt be a problem ! :) ... ohh alsoooooooo.. theres less english involved in ancient than there is in business imo. :)

goodluckk with whatever u chooseee. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
mtothem, the advices in this thread are basically our subjective views and the most likely possibility is that you won't be able to get the most desirable advices that really suit your type of answer.

However, I shall try my best to meet your demands.

As for the subject selection matter, I really suggest you go with subjects of your interest. Actuarial Degree does not have an assumed knowledge apart from Mathematics Extension 1 and I have heard that English (Advanced) is a recommended study as UNSW website suggested. I am already aware of the fact that you are not applying for UNSW but I am guessing that the courses will be similar in both universities if not same.

So, as I mentioned earlier, it is right to go with subjects that you like and are good at because you are most likely to work hard in those subjects to achieve the desired UAI. As someone already said, the mnimum UAI cut-off is 95 at Macquarie University. However, UAI more than 97 is probably more desired due to the difficulty of the course and the amount of work involved in the course. You should be a dilligent and intelligent student to get all the works done.

If you want my subjective view on your subject matter, I would personally go for combination of Business Studies and Economics. I am doing Business Studies at the moment and I love it. It's a nice relaxing subject but I still get all my work done at a competitive rate. I personally wished that I did Economics but I chose not to due to the selection of other subjects. But Economics apparently requires the decent level of essay-writing abilities from the candidates. So you may not like the subject to some extent due to essays and other writing bits involved, but you know what? Writing is necessary in exams. You will have to write to express yourself and learning HOW to write in Economics will also help you when it comes to HSC.

And, don't worry about Mathematics Competition. They are not the best indicators of your mathematical abilities.
I wish you good luck.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
pLuvia said:
Negative lots of people got in with UAI's below 97 and they are doing great in their studies
QFT.

There are people who get like 99 UAI who have to repeat many subs, and there are people who scrape the cutoff and go great.

mtothem

HSC
N/A
okay, thank you all for the advices.
my final selection is:

Chosen: English Advanced (2)
Math Advanced (2)
Preference 1: Math Ext 1 (1)
Preference 2: Mathematics Accelerated
Preference 3: Physics (2)
Preference 4: Ancient History (2)
Preference 5: Economics (2)
Preference 6: Studies of Religion 1 HSC (1)
Total= 12 units

----------------EXTRA PREFERENCES-----------------------
(in case i dont get the subjects i want)
Preference 7: Business Studies
Preference 8: Chemistry
Preference 9: Legal Studies
Preference 10: Information Processes and Technology

its okay, yeah ?

thanks.

P

pLuvia

mtothem said:
okay, thank you all for the advices.
my final selection is:

Chosen: English Advanced (2)
Math Advanced (2)
Preference 1: Math Ext 1 (1)
Preference 2: Mathematics Accelerated
Preference 3: Physics (2)
Preference 4: Ancient History (2)
Preference 5: Economics (2)
Preference 6: Studies of Religion 1 HSC (1)
Total= 12 units

----------------EXTRA PREFERENCES-----------------------
(in case i dont get the subjects i want)
Preference 7: Business Studies
Preference 8: Chemistry
Preference 9: Legal Studies
Preference 10: Information Processes and Technology

its okay, yeah ?

thanks.
Honestly anything is fine, because you learn all the stuff in uni even if you haven't done it during the HSC. Just do the subjects you are most comfortable with then you will probably do well

SimonLee13

HSC
I know students who are doing Business+Legal+Economics, and they're doing very well. Similiar to people who do Biology+Physics+Chemistry, the workload seems intense but ultimately, if you enjoy it, you'll do fine regardless of anything else.

Actuary - Highest drop out rate out out of any course, so yes it is very difficult. If you do make it, you'll make loads of money ( avg starting salary is higher than most graduate students)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)