• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acturial studies (im in 12) (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
ye asia.
man juz finking about his package pisses me off. its like the feeling u get wen u buy a lotto ticket and u start finking about wot u wanna buy if u win.
2 yrs!! *brian has set the new bar*

work in america aye. hehe. i'd rather work for an american firm based in asia. imagine 3 or 4 yrs in hardcore actuarial, den goto america and get shot or bombed or sumfin coming outer an airport.....dats like max pwnage!

edit:

ye..i fink he meant job "security" :p
wots his uber package ?
and, why is he still at mq then....

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
wots his uber package ?
and, why is he still at mq then....
im not spose to reveal it so...juz take my word for it, its really really good. like i'd be satisfied wiv that amount if ive been working for 5-10yrs let alone ur first bluddy job! plus its in asia...the low cost of living means his purchasing power parity is off the scale

he's still at mq coz he has exams and leaves in a few weeks

flamin'

he got it coz his bro works there at the firm over there so he got favours....

don't worry we should all get jobs... some will be shit paying etc. and very crap... but at least you won't be unemployed....

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
it seems like a lot of first years are really interested in vac work. Maybe we should start a sticky 'Vacation Work' thread to inform everyone who is interested on how to get vacation work, what you do on the job, is it fun etc.....

I'm flying out on December 2 to start my internship at the Actuarial Department of Firstlife Insurance (www.firstlife.com.ph). I can tell ya that it feels good to finally be able to don the suit and make some money! Finish mid Feb.
how did u get a job overseas? thats very impressive.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
so its not purely based on marks...phew...i got a chance to get a decent vac job next year than ? :>

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
no..its like 10% based on marks, 60% on ur personality

ur academics is only for when they look at ur resume and academic transcript in the first stage. depending on the firm, theres many other stages afterwoods..nuffin to do wiv ur marks.

ironically, one the smartest ppl in my year didnt get a vac job this summer. he's gottan high hd's in everything except 1 D...he makes it past the first stage, and then he gets unlucky after that =/.

flamin'

actually marks may work against you. when they interviewed me they were like... how much do you study a night etc. thinking i was a full big nerd etc... sighz....

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flamin' said:
actually marks may work against you. when they interviewed me they were like... how much do you study a night etc. thinking i was a full big nerd etc... sighz....
rofl...but it works with u if u got personality commo. skillz...

coz yeah, its depressing if u send ur resume to firm afta firm and never get called for an into (not that i tried, but i can see it happening coz of my average marks)

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
So u guys who got summer vac jobs, do u kno if u'll be doing actual work for ur companies, or will it be mostly a watching and learning experience sorta thing?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
dunno about the others, but me and flamin' gonna b doing actuarial modelling stuff. i fink theres sumfin in the contract that says we cant disclose the content of contract so im not gonna go into details about wot we doing..

but we havent started for them yet, so prolly give u more insight later on.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Are they (company) lenient for ur "student" mistakes and inexperience....

I'd hate to keep stumbling at my first job in my career...specially with so many numbers in finance or acst etc.. :(

flamin'

To flyin':

Did you by chance get a copy of the 1999 2000 papers (and solutions) for 243 when they were up on webCT? They've seem to change the papers they given us so I don't have answer to those 2 papers. If you got the solution can you put the file up on here or send them to me please? Thanks.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
I don't have solutions to 1999 and 2000 (2000 was never on WebCt/I don't have a scanner). But I do have both papers. You'll find you've done half the questions in tutes/lecture notes.

Also Brownian motion in 1999 is too hard.
wah! stochastic processes look so hard. and this is 2nd yr work ><

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)