acturial studies with science (1 Viewer)

aja152

HSC
N/A
hi :)

im doing a combined degree, BCommerce/ BScience.

I decided to major in actuarial studies in commerce, but im still deciding what to do in the science degree.

so, i was wondering what the best combination would be with actuarial studies. After some research i think
1. mathematics
2. statistics
3. computer science.
were the best related... and would be most helpful in the future.

i would really appreciate your opinions on which major in science would be best in combination with actuarial studies.

Edit: i was reading a thing on the unsw site and it said: A Computer Science major may only be undertaken with the permission of the School of Computer Science and Engineering.

Is this permission hard to get?
Thanks in Advanced!!!

Last edited:

aja152

HSC
N/A
Also, im getting an impression that i can't do an honours years for acturials studies if i do this combined degree.

Is this true???

(btw i know its hard to get into an honours year. I want to study really hard and even drop the science degree if i have to)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
well go for comp sci if you enjoy coding, but maths ands stats will do nicely. For comp sci I think you have to get permision because you're doing B Science(Computer Science) which is under the science faculty and not B Computer Science which is under CSE Faculty but I don't think it would be hard to get permission and you just have to make the courses fit in.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Math majoring in statistics probably goes best with actuarial studies. You can pick Mathematical computing and computational mathematics (and probably other computing related math courses too) if you like computing.

aja152

HSC
N/A
okay~ thanks! im thinking of statistics....

edit: omg i need help +_+;; i hope someone reads this....
im trying to enrol (1st yr 1st semester) and im choosing the courses. im doing actuarial studies and statistics. can someone pleaseeee point me in the direction of which courses to add????? the online handboook is confusing.............

i have alread ACCT1501, ECON1101, MATH1151~ which are courses concerning the commerce degree,
but i dont know what to put in for the 4th course.................(?????)

but i still have alot of time to enrol i guess : )

Last edited:

kooliskool

HSC
I want to ask how else can I get advice from selecting the courses other than looking at online handbook? because I find it confusing and really don't want to get my info from there if i can use another way.

Btw aja152, I'll be doing the exact same degree as you next year at UNSW, hope to see you next year, can you also tell me why you select actuarial studies? I'm not questioning you or anything, just finding a good answer to answer my mum, she's against what I'm doing and want me to go into medicine or dentistry instead.

Thanks guys.

aja152

HSC
N/A
heyy kooliskool :)
yeah similarly my mum wanted me to go towards pharmacy (o.o) but i chose this pathway because...... well the typical answer would be that it has good future job prospects, and very financially rewarding at the end. But to be honest, i donnoe.................></////
nevertheless, i hope to see you there~ post up what courses your gonna choose~~ i need some reassurance ;;;;;

edit: "next year" ??? you mean this year,, right???

kooliskool

HSC
lols, ya, always forget we advanced one year already, it's sometimes slow to realise for me lols.

for courses, I'm really not sure, that's y I want to ask, is there any help about this? because it seems to me that there are lots of paths you can choose?like 2 out of 6 electives or something, I want to know exactly wat you do for each one so I can make a decision. Anyway you can obtain that infomation besides reading the handbook?

Oh, and I want to know the end date for enrolling these subjects too. From some friend I know they got enrollment help session at University of Newcastle settting up at 29th of Jan, I wonder if there are similar things at UNSW and I didn't receive the package by mail.

Lastly, not to discourage you or anything, my mum told me from her contacts, actuary are seem to be quite full now in Australia and hard to find a job even when you graduate, so your reason for studying (as well as being mine for my argument against her) seems to be not legitimate.

aja152

HSC
N/A
There's this Academic advising day on 12 feb so you can prob get in-person help on that day. The last day of enrolment is (i think, double check cuz this is out of memory) 29th of feb.

lastly, just say its what you want to do in the future~
good luck! o.o;

kooliskool

HSC
thx, do u have any web page info for that? coz i can't find it anywhere

schmeichung

HSC
aja152 said:
it has good future job prospects, and very financially rewarding at the end.
Really? Hopefully its true, or maybe you are good enough to earn the reward :)
Goodluck

ps. The top actuarial students in my grade actually doing same programmes as you, so you could be one of them :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)