ADF Gap Year (2 Viewers)

karoooh

HSC
My brother's signed up for it :/, mainly cos he doesn't know what else to do I think... He doesn't really want to go to uni, not just yet anyway, so he'll defer it for the year and see how he goes. And I thought you were allowed to leave after the training period's over, if it's not to you're liking.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
I wouldnt degrade my self like that for 35k. Get a real career and you'll be better off in the long run.
Zimmerman

May I respectfully say that I object most strenuously to your signature.
But I respect your right to hold the view, and to express it.
Lucky that you are free to have an opnion like that, and express it without being killed, locked up, tortured, or just "disappearing", eh?

You are free to hate Australia.
But to say so, and yet to still stay here taking up it's freedoms, benefits, lurks and perks, is profoundly hypocitical.

I hereby offer to drive you to the airport myself.

soccer rules

HSC
Hey, yea i was thinkin bout doin da Gap year thing. my parents r really supportive about it but if i go then i will miss my sisters wedding which suks as im da maid of honor. im thinking bout da army so is there gonna b many girls applying 4 dat.

elena24

HSC
soccer rules said:
Hey, yea i was thinkin bout doin da Gap year thing. my parents r really supportive about it but if i go then i will miss my sisters wedding which suks as im da maid of honor. im thinking bout da army so is there gonna b many girls applying 4 dat.
hey! yeh i thought the same thing about the army...i would assume not many girls would do it though. better off choosing navy/air force, also it allows u to leave wenever u want..so u may not miss ur sis's wedding(depending on when it is of course)

sayrah64

HSC
I filled in the application on the site for the army...I have to ring up and work out a time for my aptitude test soon as well..
I'm not really sure if I want to go ahead with it but I don't really have any plans for my gap year and the money definately sounds good.

elena24

HSC
yeh it is really a good opportunity and chance to do something like this and the money although is a bargaining chip to lure us in..who cares u can leave afterwards anyway. btw sayrah64..what made u chose the army instead of the other two??

sayrah64

HSC
elena24 said:
yeh it is really a good opportunity and chance to do something like this and the money although is a bargaining chip to lure us in..who cares u can leave afterwards anyway. btw sayrah64..what made u chose the army instead of the other two??
umm.. I don't know really.. I'm pretty unsure about going through with the whole thing altogether. I just checked out the positions that were available for each and the ones that I thought suited me best were in
the army. I'm not the most physically fit person so I thought choosing the option of cook/some of what I am guessing will be the less demanding options appealed to me.

elena24

HSC
wow thats exaclty like me..i am lookin into the cook option as well! im just choosing the navy for da gap year cause it pays more than the other two. i mean im not veryy fit but i can get it to a reasonable level but not enough to be in a position where physical exertion is extremely high. well good luck if u do intend on going through with it!! :)

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
passed the aptitude test, gotta fill out a million forms now. send it back out to 'em, quit smoking and do the fitness training. lol looks like fun man, money should help with uni fees and a new car :) i recommend it

sayrah64

HSC
elena24 said:
wow thats exaclty like me..i am lookin into the cook option as well! im just choosing the navy for da gap year cause it pays more than the other two. i mean im not veryy fit but i can get it to a reasonable level but not enough to be in a position where physical exertion is extremely high. well good luck if u do intend on going through with it!! :)
thanks! good luck to you too:)

elena24

HSC
gonnafailhsc said:
passed the aptitude test, gotta fill out a million forms now. send it back out to 'em, quit smoking and do the fitness training. lol looks like fun man, money should help with uni fees and a new car :) i recommend it
ohh cool as!! well done! do they tell u on the day if u pass the aptitude test or not? and how far away is the fitness test...caus im gonna have to get real fit for that! also do tell how the test thingy went and was it a long day, the recuiter says it starts at 7!! arrrgg haha oh well this better be worth it..and the million forms?? what part did u apply for(navy ect) ??

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
yeah they do, not long after u do the test, basic english n yr 12 maths sin cos n stuff forms arent too bad medical criminal history id blah blah and wish me luck for the fitness lol. im goin for army, the officers were saying how for the gap year only the army have seemed to get it right. hope you do well! latahz

elena24

HSC
gonnafailhsc said:
yeah they do, not long after u do the test, basic english n yr 12 maths sin cos n stuff forms arent too bad medical criminal history id blah blah and wish me luck for the fitness lol. im goin for army, the officers were saying how for the gap year only the army have seemed to get it right. hope you do well! latahz
seemed to get it right!?? wat do u mean...like in the test?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
So I want a serious, stable career, and plan to study at uni. Is it really worth deferring for a year to do this (in 2009)?

Would anyone reccomend navy/airforce or army?

Anyone know how much of you pay goes to food/living expenses, etc?

How do you chose to be a cook, etc?

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
out of air force navy and army, only the army have got the gap year right. sent out the forms today, gotta book a fitness test. 6.5 beep test, 45 sit ups and 10 push ups, no probz lol. good luck to everyone trying out, good year off. they pay for accommodation and food so no worries

saraaah

HSC
hey can any1 fill me in on the ADF Gap Year??
m6y boyfriend is doing it next year and i want to no if i'l ever get to see him and can i contact him?

should we just break up? =[
thanks.
x

elena24

HSC
well the gap year goes for 12 months(with the exception of pulling out of the navy/air force at any time- u can do that with the army but the deadlines are more strict) depending on the type he has gone to he will prob be in victoria...only the army is in nsw. im pretty sure u will be able to contact him as they all have communication facilities(email, phone etc) now whether u should break up with him is up to u and him to decide...hope that helps.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
saraaah said:
hey can any1 fill me in on the ADF Gap Year??
My boyfriend is doing it next year and i want to no if i'l ever get to see him and can i contact him?
Short answer is - yes but probably not for the first two to four weeks. That's how it is for every new Army Recruit. After that, pretty much, yeah.

Long and detailed answer - There is a document that he will get before he goes called the "Joining Instructions".
An example is here: http://www.army.gov.au/artc/media/rrtc2007.pdf

This usually includes information about how family and friends can contact the recruit.
For the first three months-ish, he might be at Kapooka, which is near Wagga. You will need to go there, as he will almost certainly NOT get enough time off to travel to Sydney.

should we just break up?
Not for this, no. But that's just my opinion <shrug>

hwoods07

HSC
does anyone know any females in the army or what its like for females in the army?

I'm still making the decision on weather or not to join and keep being told that chicks in the army cop a lot of crap..... do you rekon the money is worth it?

Also, do you rekon that the 'experience' is just being portrayed in a really positive way to recruit people or is it genuinly something valuable?

sayrah64

HSC
hwoods07 said:
does anyone know any females in the army or what its like for females in the army?

I'm still making the decision on weather or not to join and keep being told that chicks in the army cop a lot of crap..... do you rekon the money is worth it?

Also, do you rekon that the 'experience' is just being portrayed in a really positive way to recruit people or is it genuinly something valuable?

the experience probably is being portrayed positively to recruit, but I think that the experience that you actually get out of it is up to you. if you enjoy your time in the army then it is going to be valuable to you. i guess it just depends on whether you take to the lifestyle or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)