ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

Member232135

HSC
N/A
Hm. Careers advisor told me a memo was sent out stating less than 100 spots left now?

sayrah64

HSC
Sidicious-Reign said:
Hm. Careers advisor told me a memo was sent out stating less than 100 spots left now?
yeah, that doesn't surprise me.
I think i remember reading something in the paper about over 500 people applying within the first few weeks of the website accepting applications.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Just a word of warning for those who intend to do the Army GAP year up to 6 months of it will actually be spent in the Northern Territory-Darwin training and working in ur specialization. My friend's have pulled out because of this and are joining the reserves instead.

saraaah

HSC
oh k. wats in the 1st to 4th week wen i wont be able to talk to him?

and wat do they do on weekends?

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
I'm in first year uni and applying for the gap year.
I read somewhere you can only pull out during the recruitment/basic training period.

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
Looking good, i passed the medical and psycological test, gotta do fitness. Anyone else 100% for the gap year? a year of training and my recruitment officer said the pay is nearly $50 000, no commitments other then 12 months and would really kick ass in a CV i rekon lol. Anyone do the fitness part of it yet? should be piss easy :)

elena24

HSC
gonnafailhsc said:
Looking good, i passed the medical and psycological test, gotta do fitness. Anyone else 100% for the gap year? a year of training and my recruitment officer said the pay is nearly $50 000, no commitments other then 12 months and would really kick ass in a CV i rekon lol. Anyone do the fitness part of it yet? should be piss easy :)
oh wow! congrats!! i just did the JOES day last week now gotta do wat u did...how was it? wat should i expect..i know u should do abit of research and that. also how was the medical assesment ? nearly 50,000!!?? gees which branch was that for....again well done!

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
saraaah said:
oh k. wats in the 1st to 4th week wen i wont be able to talk to him?

and wat do they do on weekends?
The answer to both questoins is "Training, training, training".
The first few weeks is very intense.

It ain't gonna change, so you just have to accept how it's gonna be.
It's only for the first few weeks.
Do not sit there pining for him - get on with the rest of your life (I am assuming that you do in fact have one...).

You want to help him? Best thing you can do is shut up about how unhappy you may be back at home - if you go on about it, then it'll mess with his head at a time when he needs to be able to focus on new, intense, and demanding stuff.
This is your chance to be the supportive GF.

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
Just to clear things up, you do pay a contribution for accommodation. Its for rifleman, thing $48000 - accommodation. For the interview know what your role will involve, how long you are committing for, how long is initial training, which countries are our troops listed in, what equipment you will use, how much will you be payed, whats military law about, where will you be posted to.

I did the test at Parramatta, and the base isn't too far from Sydney, Kapooka about 10kms from Wagga Wagga. I initially wanted to join the police force, but id hate to go to uni at the moment. The skills you pick up im sure will help later on in life, it's 100% 12month ONLY.

Their is a risk of war only if fucking NZ decides they've had enough of our sheep jokes and attacks lol or shit like that. Yeah initial training is going to be tough, but your not joining to do fuck all.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on i think it shouldn't be too bad, sick of sittin on my arse for so long time for some real work. I leave on the 15th of January, so as soon as i finish exams, gotta train my ass off!

Anyone got questions on the matter or unsure whether or not to join, everyone who did it says its tough but they loved it and if you're gonna join, i'm not sure if theres any more positions left.

Cheers

Fail

elena24

HSC
gonnafailhsc said:
Just to clear things up, you do pay a contribution for accommodation. Its for rifleman, thing $48000 - accommodation. For the interview know what your role will involve, how long you are committing for, how long is initial training, which countries are our troops listed in, what equipment you will use, how much will you be payed, whats military law about, where will you be posted to.

I did the test at Parramatta, and the base isn't too far from Sydney, Kapooka about 10kms from Wagga Wagga. I initially wanted to join the police force, but id hate to go to uni at the moment. The skills you pick up im sure will help later on in life, it's 100% 12month ONLY.

Their is a risk of war only if fucking NZ decides they've had enough of our sheep jokes and attacks lol or shit like that. Yeah initial training is going to be tough, but your not joining to do fuck all.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on i think it shouldn't be too bad, sick of sittin on my arse for so long time for some real work. I leave on the 15th of January, so as soon as i finish exams, gotta train my ass off!

Anyone got questions on the matter or unsure whether or not to join, everyone who did it says its tough but they loved it and if you're gonna join, i'm not sure if theres any more positions left.

Cheers

Fail

Thanks for that..it was insightful and helpful. so now when is ur fitness test? long after the assesment day? thanks a bunch

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Is it too late to apply? I sent a expression of interest thing but haven't got a reply yet.

gonnafailhsc

Trilla
HSC
I'm not sure of it's too late to apply, you should try though.

Fitness Test is on December 17th, I've quit smoking and going on a fitness program. I don't want to get in by achieving the minimal standards, i want to leave an impression lol.

Good luck to everyone!! I applied as Plan B just in case i don't make it to Uni, but research shows "Gap Year" enables students to focus on their studies and excel upon returning. And which employer wouldn't be impressed with military training?

Lol take care everyone, good luck with HSC and remember to follow your heart, not your wallet.

hwoods2090

HSC
Who here has done the YOU Session, and what sort of stuff do they ask in the aptitude test???

also, whats the time period between the YOU session and when u have to do all the sit ups/push ups/shuttle run??

elena24

HSC
hey peeps! just did the assesment day...and boy wat that quick
got there like 8am and by 10am they were telling me about my enlistment. so yeh i got in! yay! anyways who else here has had a repsonse...i leave in feb btw

J

~Jame~

elena24 said:
hey peeps! just did the assesment day...and boy wat that quick
got there like 8am and by 10am they were telling me about my enlistment. so yeh i got in! yay! anyways who else here has had a repsonse...i leave in feb btw
Mad shit, people are actually going.. I got my YOU session on friday, i hope i dont fail the fitness test and now i gotta quit smoking...

Im really cautious about this whole idea, what if its really shit and i get boreds. Apparently if your going into the army gap year you have to stay for a minimum of 80 days! and then you can leave.

Also is all the training done in kapuka????? or only the 80 days intitial training?

Elena what are you doing in the army? Rifleman, soldier, officer?????????
I'm curious about what people selected.

gonnafailhsc said:
I'm not sure of it's too late to apply, you should try though.

Fitness Test is on December 17th, I've quit smoking and going on a fitness program. I don't want to get in by achieving the minimal standards, i want to leave an impression lol.

Good luck to everyone!! I applied as Plan B just in case i don't make it to Uni, but research shows "Gap Year" enables students to focus on their studies and excel upon returning. And which employer wouldn't be impressed with military training?

Lol take care everyone, good luck with HSC and remember to follow your heart, not your wallet.
Are you going for rifleman??? do you know if the training is only in kapuka? and what should i do?!!??!?!?! soldier or rilfeman? im a gun freak tho.. lol (besides the camping places and stuff, but majority) BTW CONGRATS!!! I HOPE I GET IN!!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

elena24

HSC
i chose the navy in the end..where u can leave whenever u want. anyway yeh the army u have to stay a minumum then leave after that dealine ur set in for the rest of the year. the YOU session(isnt it JOES btw:S) is easy but long asssss so bring a book or sumthin..best of luck!!

sayrah64

HSC
i've done the JOES bit and my assessment day is on the 20th november cos I didn't want to do it until after my exams. Best of luck to everyone.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
cant be bbothered checking all the posts, but to whoever said they can deploy you overseas is wrong. they cant. fact., the only possible way they could would be with your permission, even that im pretty skeptical on. They cant even send reserves overseas without individual permission, granted Australia isnt under direct attack

MathsIsWeird

HSC
Well i havent read many of the posts but the way i see it is, its the MILITARY, it doesnt matter what they call it there is still a chance they will pull some legal stunt saying that you have to go overseas and fight, however i have no idea about the true nature of the ADF gap year but i think its to present you with the good side of the military and not the bad, however i might be joining the military myself just not the Australian one.
I have to go to my country to do 2 years worth of military service so i can stay for longer than 3 months a year for a holiday, and was thinking of moving there so gotta do what you gotta do.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)