Adfa 2010 (1 Viewer)

aimeev

HSC
Anyone applying for the ADFA education award to attend ADFA in 2010?

GinoIs

HSC
Any degree I guess, *shrugs.

I'll be doing flight screening soon at Tamworth - and if all goes well, i'll pass it and get an offer for raaf/ran/aa

aimeev

HSC
Yeah i'm trying to work out which degree to put down in my preferences....Maybe B.tech aviation.
So you're applying for pilot?

n i n a

HSC
I'm (hopefully) going to ADFA in 2010, had my OSB this week for Air Combat Officer in the RAAF which is my second preference. Still waiting to see if I'll get on flight screening soonish because pilot is still my first preference...

Also applied for the education award, as far as I can tell they announce the recipients in June but I can't find any absolute answer... anyone have any idea when they announce it?

aimeev

HSC
I had my OSB the other week too! Went down to Canberra for two boards, army and airforce (intelligence officer). Also waiting for flight screening invitation and education award news. I've heard that they announce the recipients anytime during this term but no later than June/July...not really sure :)

DTFM

HSC
I hope you get shot by a terrorist and while you lie in the desert dying you realise that nobody in this country gives a flying fuck about our soldiers and how your life would have been better spent lying in bed masturbating all day while watching Married... with Children reruns.

Kittikhun

HSC
Are you guys sure about ADFA? How about being sponsored by the Australian Government to attend West Point (USMA) in the United States? Apply for that university/ military academy. In my opinion the experience over there, if you do choose to go, would be more worthwhile and exciting than ADFA. My reasons for this are as follows-

1). West Point, according to Forbes Magainze, is ranked as the best public university in the US and 6th overall.
2). It`s ranked in the top four of American academic instituitions for the number of students who win Rhodes and Hertz scholarships for their graduate study. (beating some Ivy League universities too!)
3). There is a wider choice of majors that you can choose to major in than in the ADFA/ UNSW (e.g. UNSW does not offer an Arabic major whereas USMA does)

USMA Dean: Dean's Corner

4). The classes are small. Only 14-18 to a class instead of a 300 student class in a lecture at the ampitheatre!
5). When you graduate you will receive a Bachelor`s degree in Science together with your other degree whether you opt to do a double degree or not. (All USMA cadets graduate with a Bsc. due to the engineering requirements to attend USMA)
6). There is an abundance of extra-curricular activities that you can do at USMA which allows you to then make your résumé stand out more in applications to attend more prestigious universities if you do choose to continue on to graduate studies.
7). There are more war games at USMA with other visiting military academies (Sandhurst, Royal Military Academy of Canada, the Chilean military school etc.) in the world than in the ADFA.
8). This may sound stupid, but the campus looks better too.

Have a look-

File:USMA Aerial View Looking North.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to It!

aimeev

HSC
That does sound good. I'll be sure to check it out :)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
my boyfriend is, he's doing that adfa education award, and intending to become a navy pilot and do aeronautical engineering next year at adfa.

i want to become a navy psychologist but they don't even have psych in the sponsorship program =[[.

wendy_

HSC
I was reading about the ADFA Education Award on the internet. Do you need to be a current cadet in any of the defense force areas to be eligible?

wendy_

HSC
How do you apply for the award? Did you ever apply?

corinne00

HSC
hopefully going to get in as a pilot in the raaf for my 1st preference. Have to do specialst testing soon. my 2nd preferance is an engineer in the army, next step is the OSB for that.

to apply you've gotta ring the 13 19 01 number and talk to one of the guys. They'll organise a YOU session which tests some basic maths and stuff and an interview and then you gotta do some other stuff which they'll organise for you. Im pretty sure the awards closed now though

MJ-47

HSC
It sounds to me like alot of you guyz are interested in the flying side of what ADFA has to offer. I myself are currently studyin a degree a bachelor of aviation at unsw and plan to undertake airforce training later.

me advice to you potential pilots out there. unless you plan to spend a large majority of your career in the armed forces. pick up some civil aviation training first, so you have aot of potential if you ever decide that the military isnt for you in the future.

aimeev

HSC
If you are currently in year 11, you should apply for the award as soon as possible! Give DFR a ring 13 19 01. When u call they'll register you and begin your recruiting process. Just remember that when applying for the award you are also applying for a job in the defence force. After your first call you'll be booked in for a YOU session (your opportunities unlimited), which is just a basic aptitude test to see if you're competent. Depending on what job you're applying for, you may be required to undergo further testing. i.e. aircrew testing for pilot/ACO. After this you'll be booked in for an assessment day...good fun :haha:
and finally, if u pass assessment, you'll head down to canberra on a fully funded trip to sit an officer selection board. Goodluck!

Kittikhun

HSC
If you are currently in year 11, you should apply for the award as soon as possible! Give DFR a ring 13 19 01. When u call they'll register you and begin your recruiting process. Just remember that when applying for the award you are also applying for a job in the defence force. After your first call you'll be booked in for a YOU session (your opportunities unlimited), which is just a basic aptitude test to see if you're competent. Depending on what job you're applying for, you may be required to undergo further testing. i.e. aircrew testing for pilot/ACO. After this you'll be booked in for an assessment day...good fun :haha:
and finally, if u pass assessment, you'll head down to canberra on a fully funded trip to sit an officer selection board. Goodluck!
Do they look at your extra-curricular activities too when considering who to award the award to? I'm basically stuffed for anything pertaining to extra-curricular activites in sport.

Thanks.

n i n a

HSC
I don't think they're too fussed, but it does look better if you play a team sport, and then they also know that you have some level of fitness...

Got a letter of offer for ACO so probably going, anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)