• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADFA - Assesment Day (1 Viewer)

toddp387

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am due to go for my Assesment day on Thursday and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

That would be great thanks
Todd

rob333

HSC
Be yourself

Dress well - suit, tie, etc

Know your stuff - do alot of research into your chosen position, ADFA and part of the force that you are joining. eg for air force you should know all the bases and most of the squadrons, aircraft, pay rates, leaders etc. All the stuff they told you about in the last interview (JOES day). Your extent of knowledge will be an integral part in their decision to send you through.

Present yourself well - they will be looking for someone who is confident and speaks well. Make eye contact when speaking. Put the message across that you seriously want a career in the defence force becasue they don't want to spend money on people who aren't dedicated.

Also be prepared to wait for a while between interviews. The psychologist will probe you with a lot of questions looking for a weakness/problem, but as long as you maintain your answers and don't reveal anything too shocking you should be right. Try to tell the truth. Prepare answers for questions like 'list 5 words that describe yourself' and other questions about your personality, hobbies/interests, values, etc.

The first part of the medical is alright - tests hearing, eyes, weight, height. But the second part is more thorough....the rumours about them checking your genitals is true!! And they also ask you for a urine sample, so don't go to the toilet immediately before hand (like I did).

Hope this helps...

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Haha yes they check your genitals...and your ass...
And they get you to do the crouching duck walk while naked...
A little advice on the interview with the psychologist: get across that you can be a bit of a leader and have independence. Also mentioning that you have an outgoing personality helps.

parallel vision

FIRE UP!
haha, the crouching duck was weird!

its all been pretty much covered by rob, but heres a little more..

in the psych test, im 95% sure you wont like your tester, but keep your cool. in mine and from my other mates who've done it, they try to 'attack' you to see how composed you stay, just be cool, calm, and polite.

with the main interview, you really have to know your stuff. weapons, vehicles, installations, and your role. also know current events (hint: the 4 operations) and people (hint: DF leaders and also political figures)

and finally, dont lie! at all, they'll just keep asking and asking and you'll dig yourself in to a bigger hole

hope that helps, good luck

oh, and take a good book, you'll be waiting around for ages

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Just read the defencejobs website for the assesment day, you don't need that much indepth information wait for the OSB. Oh and read the defence papers there because you will do alot of waiting, I even did alot and I was the first person for the day.

toddp387

HSC
Thanks alot everyone, that has helped me heaps, well i hope so anyway. Ill let u's know how i go.
Thanks again.
Todd

bree =)

HSC
N/A
parallel vision said:
in the psych test, im 95% sure you wont like your tester, but keep your cool. in mine and from my other mates who've done it, they try to 'attack' you to see how composed you stay, just be cool, calm, and polite.
I second that. Just be prepared for the questions, which are somewhat invasive. Be honest because lying will come back to bite you.

Here's a taster...

Do you have friends?

Do you have a eating disorder?

I'm not really convinced... please explain.

What do your parents think?

Do you ever have the urge to jump of tall buildings?

Do you sleep well?

ect.

Also, remember that they are there to do their job and make sure that you are mentally and emotionally okay. It would be dangerous for others if you were a nutcase.

Oh, and be ready when they dig a little deeper than necessary into off the cuff remarks.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)