Ads to highlight striking Boeing workers' plight (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
Last Update: Friday, November 18, 2005. 10:33am (AEDT)
Ads to highlight striking Boeing workers' plight
The NSW Government and the Australian Workers Union (AWU) have launched a new advertising campaign highlighting the plight of striking Boeing workers in Newcastle.

About 25 maintenance employees, based at the Williamtown RAAF Base, have been on strike for more than four months in a push for a collective agreement.

Boeing will not consider their demands, saying the striking workers amount to just 7 per cent of its Williamtown work force.

AWU national secretary Bill Shorten says the ads, which will screen on Newcastle's commercial television stations, aim to bring people's attention to the strike.

"The ads are just the reflections of the people who have been on strike, asking Boeing and the Government to take an interest in the problem, but do more than just take an interest in the problem - talk to the workers about a collective agreement," he said.

Meanwhile, the Mayor of Cessnock, John Clarence, has defended a council decision to make a $1,000 donation to the striking Boeing workers.

Councillor Clarence denies says the donation will help the workers and their families over Christmas and denies it is a political move.

"Well look, all I can say to you is this, if you were out of work and struggling to buy presents for your children for Christmas, struggling to provide a decent dinner for them and someone offered you money, would you say that was political? It's more humanitarian isn't it?" he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1509587.htm

HSC
Perhaps the reason they don't have money is because they chose not to work for 4 months...

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Ahh...Unions are worthless.
I love this attitude. I can't wait to go back to dickens era pre union days. That's when the workers were paid their TRUE worth.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
My hero = PM Bob Hawke. He Sculled 3 Schooners of beer in 9.3 seconds. Thats why labor was a workers party.
I don't he would agree with you abou the 'unions are usless' line.

HSC
I see the motive in earlier bumping campaigns now. I'd love to see more discussion on something other than religion, drug convictions and racism. Take this thread for example, surely it's still relevant (Well, no, but who cares), and looking through some of the posts here there's some great material to expand upon. In particular, politik made me laugh :)

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
There is plenty of material to work with... heres a question why arent young people proactive on the most part in pursuing positions and responsibility within the union movement to steer it in the right direction?
A suggested answer: It is too easy for them to look after themselves attain class mobility and bitch and moan about a movement they have rarely been a part of

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)