Adv Arts (1 Viewer)

Lewie J-Ho

HSC
Hello, long time reader (well, not really), first time poster.
Pleasantries aside, I'm considering doing the BA Adv Hons, and would just like to know how difficult it would be to maintain the credit average required while starting from the second year. I'm fairly bright, but certainly no intellectual and super lazy.
Cheers.

symple

HSC
Credit average? Shouldn't be too difficult, if you pick your subjects carefully.

I'd say 1st semester will be a MASSIVE SHOCK, but you'll have adjusted by 2nd semester. You don't have to be an intellectual, just do plenty of extra study.

This boast of being "super lazy" will have to be cut off at the root RIGHT NOW. No way are you getting through 1st year, as a 2nd year, with THAT kind of attitude. Seriously.

I assume you have the UAI?

Best of luck.

Lewie J-Ho

HSC
Thanks symple.
I presume I will have the necessary UAI, if last year's is anything to go. How much extra study do you reckon would be required? Haha, I meant "super lazy" by the usual HSC standards. The UAI I received really wasn't deserved, but I suppose that could be an advantage.. I kind of gathered I would be able to maintain the credit average if I was going against the entire Arts candidature (would that be the case?), combined with the fact I would be pursuiting study in something that actually interests me. That would not be too presumptuous, would it?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
Lewie J-Ho said:
Thanks symple.
I presume I will have the necessary UAI, if last year's is anything to go. How much extra study do you reckon would be required? Haha, I meant "super lazy" by the usual HSC standards. The UAI I received really wasn't deserved, but I suppose that could be an advantage.. I kind of gathered I would be able to maintain the credit average if I was going against the entire Arts candidature (would that be the case?), combined with the fact I would be pursuiting study in something that actually interests me. That would not be too presumptuous, would it?
you're just going against the candidature of each specific subject, not the entire faculty

Lewie J-Ho

HSC
Yeah, I kind of figured that was self-evident. Considering only 50 people do the BA (adv) (hons) a year, that earlier fear was unfounded.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Well its hard to assume anything in university. Its like symple said, first semester is a massive shock to high school students (or to anyone starting uni for the first time) and can take some time adjusting too.

It took me a while to adjust but the most important thing is to seek advice from your tutors/lecturers as soon as your marks aren't up to scratch. I waited around too long in first semester.

Also subjects you liked in high school may not interest you in university. I loved english in high school but hate the way its taught at uni and refuse to take it. Which subjects are you considering taking?

Lewie J-Ho

HSC
I appreciate the assistance/advice, KarmaKitten.
Yeah, most people I have spoken to have relayed similar sentiments about the shock of starting uni, but this advanced arts thing begins from the 2nd year! OMG, that would really be a shock!!
That's one of the good things about the Adv Arts thing, you have a private 'mentor' or something, so it's comforting in that respect.
I'm considering subjects along the Govt/Int'l Relations line, or perhaps Public Affairs/Policy, or even something like History. All interest me greatly, and my passion for them, I would hope, help me maintain that credit average and stick with the degree for the duration. Concerns do persist regarding the fact I completely skip over the Junior units. At info day yesterday, the said it wouldn't have much of an impact, I'm not so sure...
Take Govt/Int'l Relations. One of the Junior Units, 'World Politics' or something, says it forms the core part of the course. I know superficially about "the realist, liberal, Marxist and constructivist paradigms of international relations", yet doubtfully enough to write a credit-worthy response, even if senior units are only party related..

KarmaKitten

HSC
So you go immediately into senior subjects? Weird! That's pretty hardcore. Which means you really need to be on your game cause you're going againts people doing your subjects who have a bit of experience.

Personally, I am majoring in Government/International Relations and History. In regards to govt/int, you're not missing out on anything by not doing the junior subjects. They are utterly boring and repetitive. You can learn the entire thing by picking up a textbook and just summarising the main arguments of the theories. Senior subjects are way way way way more interesting. Besides most of the senior subjects tend to go back to the material of World Politics, especially International Security which deals with the theories all over again.

History is also very good at usyd. I do Australian history ( I hated Aust history in high school but love it at uni) and have done some American history subjects. Aparantly European history is good too ( I did one and hated it)

So yes, the junior subjects dont impact greatly on your understanding of senior subjects, its more that junior subjects help you build your research and writing skills. Writing essays at university is completely different from high school. So just work on those two things once you start.

This is probably the longest post I have ever written

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)