Adv. English is a joke (1 Viewer)

rcandelori

I completely agree with thomas_hb. English is no longer about learning the constructs of the language and exploring the real issues of texts; rather its about applying obscure postmodernist concepts to random things and memorising essays.

I ranked 1st overall at my school, but I wasn't very pleased with the shit I had to write to achieve it. I think it's about time that this outrageous joke of an English syllabus be abolished and that we return to the basics.

thomas_hb

HSC
rcandelori said:
I completely agree with thomas_hb.
I think it's about time that this outrageous joke of an English syllabus be abolished and that we return to the basics.
Is that elitism? No. That is someone that is both intelligent and accomplished. So far only those that have done well by surrendering their being to the HSC have disagreed. Now it is clear that there are people that both excel at English through TALENT, but still recognise that it's a joke...

So you can all shove that up your "Italo Calvino"!

Which by the way, is someone who's publications I have read, without having done Extension English. I read "The Invisible Cities" in Year 10, and I chose to. You deadheads think you're so clever don't you?!...but actually, you wouldn't have read ANYTHING if it didn't guarantee a few marks would you?! And on the flipside of that, you'd try, if it were worth 10 marks, to say that Paul Jennings novels ..."transcended space and time to deliver a striking message about consumerism to young people..." ...never mind the fact that between the 80 pages of size 18 font, there's nothing but childish drivel.

...I think we're done here.

nwatts

HSC
thomas_hb said:
Is that elitism? No. That is someone that is both intelligent and accomplished. So far only those that have done well by surrendering their being to the HSC have disagreed. Now it is clear that there are people that both excel at English through TALENT, but still recognise that it's a joke...
Considering the nature of what's being discussed, I feel it only necessary to pick this out.

In other words, stop grandstanding. You're no better than anyone else.

Captain Karl

HSC
rcandelori said:
I ranked 1st overall at my school, but I wasn't very pleased with the shit I had to write to achieve it. I think it's about time that this outrageous joke of an English syllabus be abolished and that we return to the basics.
If you wanna return to basics why are you studying ADVANCED english? The entire premise of the subject is that you already know the basics from junior schooling.
That said, while I dont find the course completely pointless I can see some validity in people's opinions.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
nwatts said:
You're no better than anyone else.
At least he's being honest. Secretly, we all feel that we are in fact better than everyone else. :D

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
thomas_hb said:
And on the flipside of that, you'd try, if it were worth 10 marks, to say that Paul Jennings novels ..."transcended space and time to deliver a striking message about consumerism to young people..." ...never mind the fact that between the 80 pages of size 18 font, there's nothing but childish drivel.
Gold!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
in my class, we have so so many had essays marked with 'sentence struture refinement needed', and being the only comment we have recieved a mark of 13/20...WTF
I recieved a mark of 12/20 for one of my essays in the trials.
After my dad complained, we had an interview and he explained I had all the information written down in my essay, and that if i "slightly tweaked my structure" I would have recieved 18-19 / 20...

Fucking Bullshit.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Yeah internal marking is pretty bullshit. It's annoying when you let another teacher mark the same essay and realise just how much they fucked up the marking. =/

Oh well.. hope that didn't badly affect your uai or something.

HSC
thomas_hb said:
There is not one thing in the Adv. Eng. course that will be of any use to anyone. Ever. Unless they plan on becoming an Adv. Eng. teacher.
I disagree, you will get nowhere in life if you can't communicate or think for yourself.

I think that you're just frustrated because you believe that your Engilsh ability is superior to other people who are getting better marks than you.

Maybe the course may reward people who can regurgitate the same essay a million times, maybe your teachers don't so much teach as just present you the answers and expect you to memorise them... but the skill of critical analysis and the opportunity to communicate is presented to you, and it's your own problem if you don't pursue them further.

On another note, if you are in favour of practical courses which teach you things which will be directly useful to your future, i hope you are not planning to go to Uni, otherwise you will be sorely disappointed.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I wish all marking was done externally :(

edit:
I don't believe the english course teaches critical thinking.
IB Philosophy gets into it a little bit?

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I received a mark of 12/20 for one of my essays in the trials.
After my dad complained, we had an interview and he explained I had all the information written down in my essay, and that if i "slightly tweaked my structure" I would have received 18-19 / 20...

Fucking Bullshit.
Don't they have to mark to a criteria? I mean, I know at our school, and in the HSC they do, so presumably your trials would be similar.

Thus they couldn't take 6 marks off you, unless they were giving you a 0 for structure, and you've lost marks in other places.

Or perhaps your structure was so terrible that you got a minus mark for it.

What I am trying to say is that you have the right to not accept that rational, and argue your mark further.

The only real time i have felt the need to argue a mark was in french extension when for some writing tasks I got given 7/10 and 3/5 and I did not feel that those marks were justified.

So i simply went through the marking criteria with the teacher, eg. Did I demonstrate a wide range of expressions and complex structure: Yes, therefore for that box I get full marks.

After doing this, my marks were changed to 9/10 and 4/5 as this was deemed fair with regards to the criteria.

Ohh well, too late fro you now.

HSC
advanced english is a joke, so much stuff i wrote i never understood but it sounded good and i'll get away with it, our teachers didn't know jack so u just had to get good essays, twiddle and u'd have your brilliant one, memorise it and get band 6, this syllabus is a farce.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What I am trying to say is that you have the right to not accept that rational, and argue your mark further.
True, Perhaps if I had sat down with him and shown him how I should have recieved more marks for each section, I could have convinced him.

Teachers are very stubburn tho when it comes to marking, and I really don't like whinging.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The only way to get internal marks changed is to whinge to a more "senior" teacher (with whom you've fostered a good relationship). Only then is there a chance that your mark will be reconsidered. Pretty much there's likely to be some politics involved, so it's BS.

Tynjail

Look i know this is related to Paper 1 but i agree with the whole idea of English just comprising of conforming to the set essay or idea in order to gain marks. The Inner Journey question proved my case entirely. As you know it was a personally related question about how the Inner Journey study changed our understanding.
If i had of answered that question truthfully my essay would comprise of two words: IT DIDN'T.

the book "my place in particular i personally thought was awful (i mean i have friends who are also ONE EIGHTH aboriginal and i can guarantee they don't care half as much about their heritage as Morgan does. Also the way in which she continually spouts about family togetherness........ and has subsequently divorced the father of her children confuses me.) anyhoo thats just my 2 cents Good luck!

Captain Karl

HSC
It all depends on your attitude, and in part on your teacher. If you choose to just memorise an essay or a set of ideas the subject is pointless. But if you choose to consider the ideas put forth and to understand them yourself then you can take a lot from it. It does help if you've got a teacher who can explain it to you, but even so if you dont understand the concepts maybe you shouldnt have done advanced english

thomas_hb

HSC
nwatts said:
Considering the nature of what's being discussed, I feel it only necessary to pick this out.

In other words, stop grandstanding. You're no better than anyone else.
As mistaken as I was and as correct as you are, could I offer the possibility that the people WHO I'm refering to, are in my opinion, stupid? And that therefore, a utilitarian title of "that" is quite fitting?!

In any case, I harbour no sense of elitism, deserved or not. All that I am trying to suggest is that perhaps the English course focuses on the wrong things, and as a result people who are willing to surrender their being, dignity and social lives to serve the master that is their HSC, succeed, and that, perhaps, their marks don't accurately reflect either their understanding or appreciation of a text, or indeed, their underlying intelligence.

Is it elitist so say this? No. I'm telling it like it is.
It is hardly my fault that they have flawed intelligence, is it?
The only thing I'm guilty of is, apparently, having the audacity to complain that the Adv. English course doesnt favour intelligence or analysis, but in fact an ability to "...do as one is told and write a bloody essay..." (words of my English teacher).

And at no point did I complain about people that are genuinely talented or able, getting the marks they deserve. No, it is the sheisters that don't UNDERSTAND literature from a meat pie that I take issue with, and they include, unfortunately, a portion of the English staff at my school. They're good teachers, don't get me wrong. Yes they're fantastic at going to the resources section of this very website and presenting us with an essay to remember. That's what teaching English is all about isnt it?

Last edited:

thomas_hb

HSC
phemale_souljah said:
I totally agree with you on this front. And no I don't actually think english adv is useless.
I've always wanted to theorise with things I've found myself in the analysing of texts, and have too suffered the wrath of left-field or 'unprecedented' takes on things :(
I think I know what you're trying to say...but it just doesn't make sense.

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
Wankers

i like the english course. it introduces young minds to the rich essence of literacy, allowing it to sculpt them into accenced individuals who transpire from the corporeal realm floating ominously into that of trancience. lol. bullshit like that can go along way in english!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Egronk said:
Wow, that was long.

In fact, I am glad it is lengthy, as then only those who deserve to read it shall. Those too lazy to read it will not receive the joy and entertainment that they would otherwise have experienced.
Your story was most amusing and entertaining. It has universal appeal and resonates with egocentric, elitist teenagers across the state.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)