adv math/psychology/physics (1 Viewer)

bachviete

HSC
N/A
Hi.

I am interested in doing an BSc(adv. maths) with honours. Is it possible to 'minor' (?) in physics? Also, could i get a BPsy(Hons) at the same time as my BSc(adv. maths)?

Thanks =)

bachviete

HSC
N/A
no. you can't do a double degree in B Psych and B Science

what you can do is B Science and do two majors (eg maths and Psych)

or B Psych with another major in maths then use any spare 'filler' subjects in physics.

Alternately, you could do Liberal Studies which is a 5 year course that results with an arts major and a science major. For your arts component, you could major in Psych and if your marks are good enough, go on and do honours. And for your Science component, major in maths with a minor in physics
Could i do a B Science with majors in maths and psych and minor physics?

ssglain

HSC
imsopostmodern said:
or B Psych with another major in maths then use any spare 'filler' subjects in physics.
You won't be able to complete another science major without overloading in B Psych as it requires you to do at least 30 credit points of psychology in 3rd year (the standard load is 48 credit points per year, and you need 24 credit points to major).

Could i do a B Science with majors in maths and psych and minor physics?
There isn't an official "minor" in physics. You can do physics subjects as electives in 1st and 2nd year, but you won't be able to fit in any more physics in 3rd year unless you massively overload.

There is one way for you to fit in three majors (maths, physics, psychology) without or with very little overloading. It may (or may not) be a bit extreme, but it's certainly an option. Maths is quite easy to accelerate as there are a number of 2nd/3rd year subjects that you can take through TSP or with special permission in 1st/2nd year so you can potentially finish half of your maths major in 2nd year.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There is one way for you to fit in three majors (maths, physics, psychology) without or with very little overloading. It may (or may not) be a bit extreme, but it's certainly an option. Maths is quite easy to accelerate as there are a number of 2nd/3rd year subjects that you can take through TSP or with special permission in 1st/2nd year so you can potentially finish half of your maths major in 2nd year.
Theoretically you can major in maths by doing 12cp junior, 12 cp intermediate and 24 cp senior maths, so if you can do two intermediate subjects in first year that would mean you can finish the maths major after two years.

However, is this advisable? Is there point doing random maths subjects just so you can get a major? I don't believe it is, and the foundation provided by doing that would be quite insufficient for honours or anything beyond a major. Given the intermediate subjects available through TSP (mainly 2969/2965/2968), it does not provide sufficient background to pursue pure or applied maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)