Adv Sci (USYD) Vs Adv Math (UNSW) (1 Viewer)

beefywater

HSC
Hi, im another one of these people looking for advice for what to study next yr.

I'm looking for a degree where i can study both maths as well as sport/health/biological science. After going through all the handbooks etc. These 2 degrees seem like they fit the best.

At the adv math (UNSW) degree i would prob major in applied maths, whereas at sydney in adv sci id prob try and do double major of maths/microbiology or something similar. I'd intend on doin honours either way.

So effectively i have no idea as 2 which degree i should choose; i'd rather go to UNSW as it is much closer to me and i like the area/surrounding suburbs however im worried about the level of science in the maths degree, whereas sydney is further away but it provides a more flexible degree i think which would prob suit me better as im unsure about what career to go towards.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated or even other ideas of degrees that would cover my preferences that i didnt notice.

ssglain

HSC
You can definitely do two majors in B Sc, B Sc (Adv) or B Sc (Adv Maths) at USyd. The Talented Students Program and the variety of Special Studies Programs available to science students at USyd are definitely worth considering. Also, since you're interested in maths and health/biological sciences, I should point out that the School of Maths has a number of very experienced researchers and teaching staff in areas such as biomaths, phylogenetics, etc.

As for UNSW, I've just read the course handbook for B Sc (Adv Maths) and it doesn't seem to allow you to do another major on top of the maths major. Can someone from UNSW confirm, please?

I guess it comes down to how important it is for you to have the flexibility to pursue your interests in health/biological sciences and if you feel that this will expand your career options. So do these factors outweigh the travel inconveniences? There are a number of buses coming to USyd from the Kensington direction so how inconvenient is it for you to get to USyd?

beefywater

HSC
Thanks for the reply and Yeah i feel as if the course at USYD would be a safer bet and getting to USYD really isn't difficult at all and i know the way really well, just UNSW is easier and im hoping that the degree at UNSW would also work.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated especially from the UNSW point of view.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)