Advance to standard? (1 Viewer)

Ninethirtyfive

HSC
Hi
I am currently in year 11 and is moving onto year 12 in a term's time
I am currently doing advanced Eng but is thinking of dropping to standard since I am only getting a band 3 or 4 at most, judging by my assignments.

So my question is: is it worth dropping to standard eng?
Because I have heard from a lot of the others saying that's its not a good idea, and if not, how can I improve?
Please please pleeeeaaaaassseee I need advice! It tips what ever I can get!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
standard is an atar killer. Unless you're getting literally less than 50% in your assessments, don't drop

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Aligning is a lot worse.

It is a lot better to stay in Advanced then Standard.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
What if you're almost last in adv
Is it worth dropping if you think you can maintain a much better rank in standard?

Is it worth dropping in ANY case?

HSC
Hi
I am currently in year 11 and is moving onto year 12 in a term's time
I am currently doing advanced Eng but is thinking of dropping to standard since I am only getting a band 3 or 4 at most, judging by my assignments.

So my question is: is it worth dropping to standard eng?
Because I have heard from a lot of the others saying that's its not a good idea, and if not, how can I improve?
Please please pleeeeaaaaassseee I need advice! It tips what ever I can get!

What's the reason for dropping down? Don't drop unless you like the standard texts and really hate the advance texts, knowing that you can improve drastically with different texts. Otherwise stay in advance because you can improve or won't be affected as much by the marks compared to when in standard with the same marks

How to improve:
-check the quality of feedback given to you
-understand the teacher's expectations
-read the higher mark responses and analyse what they did
-write essays with different arguments to then choose the strongest one

personally English is ew

Intrinsic

HSC
I would advise you remain in Advanced, because although the texts may be slightly more difficult, the atmosphere is more reassuring and mature in comparison to Standard. In Standard, no one literally wants to learn, improve nor be there.

Also, Standard English is not an atar killer. This is just an over-exaggeration of the effects of not topping the Standard cohort which can be detrimental to your atar; however, that's just like any other subject, depending on the strength of the cohort of course. If you feel the need to drop to Standard, go for it, but don't do it because you feel discouraged by your exam marks or by the advice your teachers or anyone else on the forum has given you. Go with your gut, but honestly band 3's/4's are not, in my opinion, sufficient scores to give rise to the chances of anyone dropping to Standard. Note that you will improve given that you remain persistent and determined.

Ninethirtyfive

HSC
What's the reason for dropping down? Don't drop unless you like the standard texts and really hate the advance texts, knowing that you can improve drastically with different texts. Otherwise stay in advance because you can improve or won't be affected as much by the marks compared to when in standard with the same marks

How to improve:
-check the quality of feedback given to you
-understand the teacher's expectations
-read the higher mark responses and analyse what they did
-write essays with different arguments to then choose the strongest one

personally English is ew
I am just worried that it might effect my overall mark
English was not my first language and I often feel incompetent to the others

I was told by Many of my teachers that I go off track a lot in my essays, and that some of my arguments aren't exactly the best, are there any tricks (thought process?)in constructing arguments (thesis also)? Because I often find my self baffled even just to start.....

Also, thank you so much for your comment and advice :)

Ninethirtyfive

HSC
I would advise you remain in Advanced, because although the texts may be slightly more difficult, the atmosphere is more reassuring and mature in comparison to Standard. In Standard, no one literally wants to learn, improve nor be there.

Also, Standard English is not an atar killer. This is just an over-exaggeration of the effects of not topping the Standard cohort which can be detrimental to your atar; however, that's just like any other subject, depending on the strength of the cohort of course. If you feel the need to drop to Standard, go for it, but don't do it because you feel discouraged by your exam marks or by the advice your teachers or anyone else on the forum has given you. Go with your gut, but honestly band 3's/4's are not, in my opinion, sufficient scores to give rise to the chances of anyone dropping to Standard. Note that you will improve given that you remain persistent and determined.
Thank you:)

MJ_98

HSC
I am just worried that it might effect my overall mark
English was not my first language and I often feel incompetent to the others

I was told by Many of my teachers that I go off track a lot in my essays, and that some of my arguments aren't exactly the best, are there any tricks (thought process?)in constructing arguments (thesis also)? Because I often find my self baffled even just to start.....

Also, thank you so much for your comment and advice :)

I'm also in the same situation as you :(
English wasn't my first language so I have to try extra extra hard in English.
I'm thinking of dropping down too because all the formal assessments I've done in English, I am below average. But everyone's saying standard is bad. I wish I could do ESL course. It would be so much easier errgggg

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Honestly guys . What everyone is saying about how bad standard is NOT TRUE. I'm in standard English , I, getting 85-95 % in all of my tasks and I'm ranked 1st-2nd out of 100 students. It is NOT AN ATAR KILLER. If you go crap in advanced what's going to happen then? A band 5-6 in standard English is a lot better than a band 3 in advanced . ENGLISH IS THE DISCRIMINATOR !!! if you go bad in advanced imagine your state rank , what would that do to your overall atar ? The same goes for English standard .
ENGLISH STANDARD IS NOT BAD!!! I WOULD RATHER BE ACING STANDARD THAN BE AT THE BOTTOM OF ADVANCED . At the end of the day, it's how you go in the subject , not the label attached to it.
So , if you want to drop down to standard , do it on your own terms and not based on some stereotype :)
No just no

HSC
Honestly guys . What everyone is saying about how bad standard is NOT TRUE. I'm in standard English , I, getting 85-95 % in all of my tasks and I'm ranked 1st-2nd out of 100 students. It is NOT AN ATAR KILLER. If you go crap in advanced what's going to happen then? A band 5-6 in standard English is a lot better than a band 3 in advanced . ENGLISH IS THE DISCRIMINATOR !!! if you go bad in advanced imagine your state rank , what would that do to your overall atar ? The same goes for English standard .
ENGLISH STANDARD IS NOT BAD!!! I WOULD RATHER BE ACING STANDARD THAN BE AT THE BOTTOM OF ADVANCED . At the end of the day, it's how you go in the subject , not the label attached to it.
So , if you want to drop down to standard , do it on your own terms and not based on some stereotype :)
Dropping from advanced to standard doesnt nessecarily mean higher marks, a lot of people stay in band 4 range or whatever when they drop

sy37

HSC
As much as I agree with you, your spelling / punctuation isn't helping your point lol.

But OP, listen to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)