Advanced Business Leadership Course - Easy? How many hr's is Full-Time?.. (1 Viewer)

jonno92

HSC
Hey everyone,

I hear some people saying that UWS is inferior to USyd and UNSW etc etc but I think it's bullshit. If an employer sees I have an ABL course under my name and someone else has a normal Business Course under their name from a 'better' Uni, I don't think I'd be worse off at all.. If anything, I'd be better off, since atleast I've got some industry experience under my belt, as opposed to some pen jocky from USYD or UNSW that only knows how to write essays on shit, but not how to apply it.

Anyways, I have ABL as my first perference. I got an 87 ATAR and I get 5 extra points for being in the region, so I should receive an offer on the 5th Jan, right? :confused:

I got a 93 in Business.. The course conditions say that you must maintain a GPA of 5 or higher to remain in the course.. Does this mean you need to receive on average a credit to stay there? What mark is a credit? Are any of you guys doing this course finding it difficult to maintain this mark, and what did you guys get in your HSC?

Ooohh, and also, it says 3 years Full-Time. Can someone doing this course fill me in as to how many days/hours Full Time involves?

Thanks alot :)

mr2yen

HSC
wat i heard was UWS doesnt consider any1 below an atar of 90 to any of its advanced courses such as business and their ASPIRE programs. u mite b very lucky if u get an offer in the late round because unless u got an invitation to the VIP lectures at UWS, ur chances are very slim even taking consideration bonus points

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
Pretty sure there was somebody on this forum who got 80.40 and got in with 10 bonus points

-juLie-

meep
HSC
Ooohh, and also, it says 3 years Full-Time. Can someone doing this course fill me in as to how many days/hours Full Time involves?
Full time just means a full time work load which is usually 4 subjects a semester = 40 credit points. How many days a week and how many face to face hours will depend on what subjects you take as some will have a lot of time on campus with lectures/workshops/tutorials whereas others may have a small amount of face to face learning requiring you to spend time at home completing tasks. Also the class times you pick when tutorial rego comes round will determine how many hours a day/days a week spent on campus.

jonno92

HSC
Thanks Julie. Any rough estimate on number of hours?

schtrevey, do you know who it is? UWS is closed until Monday so I will call them then if noone here knows..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A credit is 65-74 if you go to class, do your readings its quite achieveable. If they are business subjects they'd probably 3-4 hrs a week per subject of classes, thats not including your reading/assessment time

jonno92

HSC
OK, thanks. 65-74 sounds easy..

How are Uni marks as opposed to school marks? Like if I was getting low-mid 80's in most business assessments with medium effort, what sort of uni marks should I be expecting? Obviously noone can tell me exactly, but are they generally lower or higher?

jonno92

HSC
Looks like I can stop worrying lol just found this email that I received on 22nd December

Dear ....
Congratulations on your recent achievements in Year 12! I am pleased to advise that your ATAR makes you eligible
to receive an offer for the course/s listed below, as part of the University of Western Sydney’s Early Offer Scheme.

707150 B Business and Commerce (Advanced Business Leadership)
Parramatta

707050 B Business and Commerce
Parramatta

B Information and Communications Technology/B Business and Commerce
Parramatta

Early Offer Scheme offers can be made to eligible applicants in either the Early January Round or the Main Round.
Early January Round offers are published on 5 January 2010 and Main Round offers are published on 20 January 2010.

Early January Round
Early January Round offers are only made to first preference courses, so to receive your UWS Early Offer, you must
have the course of your choice (the one you wish to receive the offer to), listed as your first preference by 3 January 2010.

UWS has received a significant increase in first preferences for 2010 so this early offer presents a great opportunity to
secure a place in your preferred course.

If you receive an offer in the Early January Round, and still want to be considered for other courses in the Main Round,
you must change your preferences with UAC by 6 January 2010.

Main Round
If you do not receive your UWS Early Offer in the Early January Round, you will still be eligible to receive your Early
Offer in the Main Round, as long as it is your highest eligible preference. This means you still list your courses in the
preferred order, and UWS will give you an Early Offer, as long as you do not receive another offer to a higher preference
course.

If you receive offers in both the Early January Round and the Main Round, both offers are valid and you can choose the
course you would like to study when you accept and enrol.

If you have any further queries, please contact the Course Information Centre on 1300 897 669 or email study@uws.edu.au.

Please note, the Course information Centre will be closed between 3.00 pm Thursday 24 December 2009 and 8.30 am
Monday 4 January 2010.

Yours sincerely

for
Thea Seabrook
Academic Registrar

So does this mean I will DEFINITELY receive an early offer on 5th Jan if it is my first preference, or only maybe?... Because it says.. "your ATAR makes you eligible to receive an offer for.."

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Uni marks are entirely different, its harder to get 65-74 than in HS, don't expect to get too many D's/HD's in your first year. I freaked out at first because I was so used to 80s and 90s whereas at uni in my first year I averaged mid 70s or less. As I said you can get a credit if you attend class, do your readings etc...its not EASY but its manageable. It also gets easier once you get the hang of uni and the particular skills you need. It also really depends on the subject matter toom I found my arts subjects quite easy to get credits and Ds in but law was a lot more work.'

Types of assessments vary i've had multiple choice tests, formal exams, take home exams, tutorial presentations, tutorial participation, online negotiations, moots (those two are law specific), essays, hypotheticals, research plans...

Most of my subjects have been
Tutorial Participation 10%
Tutorial Presentation 10%
Essay 40%
Exam 40%

That said it varies depending on the subject, I have had 100% exams etc... I think with business subjects its usually some form of participation, a mid sem exam and a final exam but this is what I have ascertained from friends and it varies a lot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)