Advanced engineering usyd vs engineering nsw (1 Viewer)

angrygeorge

HSC
Hey guys I have been considering doing engineering at unsw however I am interested in the advanced engineering course at usyd, on the other hand all i hear is that unsw>usyd when it comes to engineering, so basically is it worth taking the advanced course?

undalay

HSC
Hey guys I have been considering doing engineering at unsw however I am interested in the advanced engineering course at usyd, on the other hand all i hear is that unsw>usyd when it comes to engineering, so basically is it worth taking the advanced course?
What engineering stream?
but yes, advanced engineering is brilliant. I highly recommend it.

angrygeorge

HSC
Well I am still reading about the different courses available, I seem to like all of them. My favourite subjects are maths, physics and chem so its hard to narrow it down based on those, but besides that my main interests seem to be in chemical, petroleum, maybe mining but the last 2 may require a drastic change in lifestyle (i.e. moving to some remote area in the NT for example) which i would rather not do. I am also considering civil or electrical, but i don't really know enough about the courses to tell, the handbooks and info on the university sites don't really provide enough detail, or they are too boring to read lol.

Also can i please get some info about honours? I mean what is honours I etc? Is it like the advanced course or is the course the same just a streamed class or something? And does UNSW offer it or is it something all uni's have?

undalay

HSC
Honours in engineering is just getting a certain wam. Everyone does the final year project, and marks determine what level, if any, of honours you get.
This is incorrect.
At usyd you choose to do honors thesis or a group project.

Only by completing your thesis will you be awarded an honors.

Furthermore I believe you need a credit average to do thesis.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You might also want to know that the Advanced Engineering program is by Dean's invitation only... and only 6 students will be accepted. So I'd imagine very high ATAR's and perhaps look if you were successful at getting any scholarships.

Good luck though. I would like to be invited into in when I go for Engineering next year.

undalay

HSC
You might also want to know that the Advanced Engineering program is by Dean's invitation only... and only 6 students will be accepted. So I'd imagine very high ATAR's and perhaps look if you were successful at getting any scholarships.

Good luck though. I would like to be invited into in when I go for Engineering next year.
This is slightly incorrect.

First first year you need a UAI 98+ to be invited

for second to fourth year you need a distinction WAM or above to be invited.

There are much more than 6 students to be accepted. - no limit

engineering

HSC
N/A
1: "Deans invitation is correct", but the Dean invites everyone with 98+.

2: 45 first year students are in Advanced Engineering this semester, not 6.

angrygeorge

HSC
Yeah i think there are more than 6 per year however they may be in groups of 6.
Secondly what is a thesis!?

Also i heard there is a lot of report writing in engineering, is that true?

Also, in engineering do you get maths exams like at school? like how are assesements carried out or what are they based on?

madsam

God among men
HSC
Also, it's a complete bludge, did it last sem and it's quite fun.
Compared to professional engineering which is what everyone else does, it's significantly better and less pointless.

And if you get over 95+ you can pretty much just email one of the guys and get accepted in, someone did that this year

angrygeorge

HSC
It said something about deferring first year maths and physics (if you do it in first year), is that worth it? Like does that mean you just skip the maths and physics because i assume they teach it for a reason?

undalay

HSC
It said something about deferring first year maths and physics (if you do it in first year), is that worth it? Like does that mean you just skip the maths and physics because i assume they teach it for a reason?
You can CHOOSE to be exempet from 6 first semester credit points. Either Physics/Math/Chemistry.

I do not recommend this however.
Overloading is best

madsam

God among men
HSC
you don't really do any work in adv engineering, so you can pick it up with great ease

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was only going off what I read from the USyd website. I'm glad to know that 98+ gets in from Dean's invitation because that makes me eligible by my estimate - hurrah.

Also, are combined degree students invited?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)