• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advanced English vs. Standard English (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
kadlil said:
well they should be.. i mean the best maths teachers teach general maths.. while the adv and ext 1 have the shitty ones.. although i have the best one~~!! :p
our skool works the same way
like the best teachers for gneral maths, stand eng, etc.

we get all the bludgy ones, who rekon we know everythin alreadi. =\

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
loolz it is
approx half the adv pplz going to do stand in yr12 now

beside the onli two teachers in adv who actualli teach stuff are going on maternity leave.. o_O

... most of wat we do is groupwork, then present to the class.... hmm we r the teachers.. XD

HSC
N/A
Sure, why not?

If the same rule were to be applied to mathematics (I dropped to General from 3U for my HSC year) then by rights I should have almost failed due to a pathetic teacher. On the other hand, we had a great teacher who was as great as the 4U maths teachers, and we all did well.

Just because someone isn't capable of doing the "high" stuff doesn't mean they don't deserve the same level of treatment. Sure, whilst an average extension mark might equal a moderately high general/standard mark, there's absolutely no right for teachers (or even other students) to completely give up on people who just weren't meant to whiz through english (or anything else).

A high general/standard mark is still good, and BETTER than a crummy extension/advanced mark. Decent teachers and schools will recognise this. This isn't to say that the more advanced students should have crummy teachers (NO school should have crummy teachers, if I had my way). But don't wish standard students the dud teachers. It's just not cool.

thewhitecomet

HSC
My school has the crappiest english department. every semester is a major reshuffle of staff and newbies come in. we only offer Advanced though just about everyone's doing Ext 1 this year. the single Advanced class is called "the FOB class."

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It scales poorly- that's why Baulko doesn't offer it; and I think it'd be a pain in the ass for teachers to organise classes if people start doing standard and others are doing advanced- for us, everybody does advanced. Just like with 4u maths- everyone still has to attend the 3u class (which is 2u+3u). IIRC the mark is capped at 80?

nwatts

HSC
Ahh, what?

If you'd read this thread you'd realise standard and advanced scale the exact same way.

thewhitecomet

HSC
Yeah, true. but i still don't get what's up with that? why have Adv and Standard if they're identical?

nwatts

HSC
Better texts, more complex theory, far more interesting for stronger students. Pathway to extension courses.

I would have gone insane doing standard.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
nwatts said:
Ahh, what?

If you'd read this thread you'd realise standard and advanced scale the exact same way.
Isn't the mark capped or something like that- and then it also scales down? Could just be advanced-propoganda.

Glenn198718

we had a few of the standard boys this year in the trials go alot better then the advanced kids. i think its all equal coming down to the big exams

nwatts

HSC
Propaganda.

The area of study is there to make sure standard and advanced students are marked fairly.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Our skool offers both, but preferes Advanced English. I'll probably do it next year anyway......

khandigirl

psychotic wench
HSC
rofl, this is crazy. my school has 4 or 5 standard classes... one advanced class. its the same with other subjects too... one 2 U maths class ( i think it only has about 10 ppl in it), and 5 gen maths classes, we dont offer physics, actually, we dont have so many subjects...its just pure insanity. I moved there ( as I am repeating yr 12 due to illness) beginning of term 4 this year, and my teacher basically convinced me that i was stupid and to go to standard... now im ripping up all the assessments and hating the course...

sure listen to ur teachers for advice and opinions... never rely on them and fight back... stupid stupid me.

blah... i cant believe that some schools offer only advanced and others... well i swear we have an advanced course by default.

anyway... thats my rant about my really bad school... ehhhh stupid me lol

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
khandigirl said:
rofl, this is crazy. my school has 4 or 5 standard classes... one advanced class. its the same with other subjects too... one 2 U maths class ( i think it only has about 10 ppl in it), and 5 gen maths classes, we dont offer physics, actually, we dont have so many subjects...its just pure insanity. I moved there ( as I am repeating yr 12 due to illness) beginning of term 4 this year, and my teacher basically convinced me that i was stupid and to go to standard... now im ripping up all the assessments and hating the course...

sure listen to ur teachers for advice and opinions... never rely on them and fight back... stupid stupid me.

blah... i cant believe that some schools offer only advanced and others... well i swear we have an advanced course by default.

anyway... thats my rant about my really bad school... ehhhh stupid me lol
thats baddd. what school do u go to? and just wonderin do they offer extension classes?

ane_st

HSC
whether to do Standard and Advanced really depends on how well you do.. i do advanced and i helped out a friend who did standard.. the work was very basic general advanced understanding... id start off with advanced, if you dont like it/ cant handle it, then you can drop

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
My selective school only offers English Advanced and basically forces students to do maths and english extensions because they are in the subject lines and are studied during normal school hours.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wooz said:
My selective school only offers English Advanced and basically forces students to do maths and english extensions because they are in the subject lines and are studied during normal school hours.
Same here. One teacher told us it's ptless to do Std because of the limitation of the marks or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)