Advanced Math Year 11 2018 (1 Viewer)

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
So I'm starting year 11 next year (rip me) and I'm doing advanced maths. Out of all my subject selections, Maths is probably my weakest. Therefore, I predict that I'll struggle quite a bit and waste time learning the concepts, when instead I could be focusing on my strengths. Should I drop to general and increase my chances of getting a better ATAR? Or should I stay and just hope for the best?

Also, will Maths in Focus prepare me well for advanced if I do pursue in it? Or are there any better textbooks? Please keep in mind the syllabus has changed, so any recent textbooks may be more suitable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
For you the maths syllabus will be the old one.

Is your maths beyond salvation? If not, have someone competent check you out. Maybe you are OK and can improve. But what makes you think you will struggle in your 2U?
Or maybe you just don't have a head for maths, in which case you should think of not doing 2U Advanced.
Old one? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the Advanced Maths 2U preliminary course for 2018 was changed.

captainneuro

HSC
So I'm starting year 11 next year (rip me) and I'm doing advanced maths. Out of all my subject selections, Maths is probably my weakest. Therefore, I predict that I'll struggle quite a bit and waste time learning the concepts, when instead I could be focusing on my strengths. Should I drop to general and increase my chances of getting a better ATAR? Or should I stay and just hope for the best?

Also, will Maths in Focus prepare me well for advanced if I do pursue in it? Or are there any better textbooks? Please keep in mind the syllabus has changed, so any recent textbooks may be more suitable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Just my 2c opinion, if you’re really struggling that much with 2u, drop to general. Better to top genny than to be average in 2u. It will help your atar a lot. Countless people at my school have done so, which had helped them significantly. Also keep in mind that it depends on what you want to do in uni and whether your desired course has 2u as prereq/assumed knowledge or not. All the best. :)

highshill

HSC

please do'nt use maths in focus it is the worst book ,my friend it caused half of class to fail badly, try finding another book, sorry the syllabus changed so i cant tell you according to the modern syllabus what book to use.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're in either the middle or top maths classes for yr10 and you're doing okay, then I'd say give advanced maths a chance - you could improve at it and do very well. Maybe wait until your first or second exams and if you're getting above 80% in each then definitely keep it. That being said if you're dead set against doing 2U then by all means drop to general if you think you'll do better.

My school uses Maths in Focus and we're lucky if we get 2-3 band 6s in math per year lol. I personally think it's okay for basic content but you could probably go for a better textbook. I don't know of any others though.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Use Cambridge or Fitzpatrick (textbooks) + supplement them with pastpapers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)