Advanced or Extension 1? (1 Viewer)

benlagoon

HSC
N/A
Is there a big gap between advanced english and extension 1 english?
Would it be worth going for extension 1?
thanks

Gigacube

HSC
It's best to choose the highest level of English that you are capable of as you can always drop down and it doesn't hurt to try a subject.

If you are good at English & enjoy the subject then you should go for it. I'm not sure about the gap as I don't do Ext.1 Eng. but I've spoken to a few friends who do it and they all find it quite easy to cope with as they enjoy English.

Tacitus

HSC
Extension 1 is no different from Advanced except in a few select respects:

1. Essays are significantly longer (about twice as long as a standard Advanced extended response, although you only do two as opposed to five)
2. Marked slightly harder, although generally on less juvenile criteria (whether your material adds up is more important than your structure and grammar)

The teaching style is very similar to Module B of Advanced English (Critical study of text, expectation that you will integrate sophisticated analytical readings into your essays).

If you're doing well in Advanced, it's extremely likely you'll get a similar mark in Extension 1 - the scaling compensates for harder marking.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I thought it was only one essay in Extension 1. (Could be wrong, or has it changed since 09?)

oyuck

HSC
It's worthwhile finding out what Module (A, B or C) your school is doing, and what elective they are doing as well. For example, I know some schools are studying Crime Fiction in Module A - Genre ---ewwww I don't think I could handle an in-depth study on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)