Advanced vs Standard (1 Viewer)

musagha

Premium Hero!
HSC
What are the major difference of advanced or standard towards the hsc scaling and the rest of the jazz? Stressing out did pretty crappy in paper 1 of my prelims! for advanced.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
It's true !
My English teacher said Standard and Advanced scale the same way.
Choosing the latter is for those who are keen at English.

humglish said:
in other words

you fail...

at life.

oh- but advanced is better anyways (and in some unis you need advanced)
I find more courses needing Mathematics (not General) than English Advanced.
The university course that I would like to study that needed English Advanced was optometry but that's not one of my 9 preferences.

williams180

HSC
yeh advanced scales better than standard no doubt anyone who says otherwise is a joke. They take the paper one results and work out the comparative difference between advanced and standard and use that to scale the apart the two accordingly. Also the candiduture of advanced will in an overall sense get higher marks in their other subjects than standard. Since scaling represents what you would have obtained if all people took that course a top 10% performance in standard may only be worth a top 25% performance in advanced as the students are meant to be 'smarter'. The percentages represent this if you look at the alarmingly low percentage of people in standard who get band 6 and band 5's. One has a much better chance of getting a band 5 in advanced as the raw marks will be higher than standard and will align higher. To do well in standard you really must be a genious and thus should have done advanced.

Gosford

HSC
meh..
i was headin for band 4 advanced english
now i got a decent chance in scrapin in band 5 standard english
it depends on wat type of person you are. If you r alreayd haeding for band 5 in advanced dont drop down!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
williams180 said:
yeh advanced scales better than standard no doubt anyone who says otherwise is a joke.
No. They scale exactly the same. How does it not make sense to you? The more capable students do Advanced, the ones who are shit at English do Standard and thus don't get the higher marks because they're morons. But the scaling is the same for both subjects.

Last edited:

zy

HSC
i'm going to switch to advanced in year 12 if my teacher recommends it after the yearly. if not, i'll remain in standard.
i made up 2 texts in the last section though, rofl.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
zy said:
i'm going to switch to advanced in year 12 if my teacher recommends it after the yearly. if not, i'll remain in standard.
i made up 2 texts in the last section though, rofl.
Are you sure you can do that? I didn't think you could pick up Advanced if you did Standard in Year 11, in the same way you can't pick up EE1 if you didn't do it in prelim year.

zy

HSC
Jachie said:
Are you sure you can do that? I didn't think you could pick up Advanced if you did Standard in Year 11, in the same way you can't pick up EE1 if you didn't do it in prelim year.
you can according to one of my english teachers. :eek:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
bleh, so are you guys saying that if you get the same mark within both standard and advanced, it's the same thing?

I'm not sure if I want to drop. Well I know I don't want to, but I just want the best UAI possible and am unsure of whether to keep advanced or not. People always say how easy standard is too. My teacher predicts that I'd get a high band 4, low band 5 so yeah. Your thoughts?

[edit] Oh and english is my weakest subject. [/edit]

cs01001

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
I'm not sure if I want to drop. My teacher predicts that I'd get a high band 4, low band 5 so yeah. Your thoughts?

That a prediction for Advance or Standard? In the same boat as you, hope I did decent for Advance Yearly.

MonKazzar

HSC
I'm pretty sure you could. Advanced is much better just generally cause I'm an english dork =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)