Advanced vs Standard (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
With a 16/20, there's no question you should be enrolling in advanced!!!

For the sake of aligning, please do Advanced. You also get much better texts to analyse imho, which actually makes writing easier!

D94

HSC
N/A
There's actually little difference between Advanced and Standard, in terms of what you need to produce, whether it be essays, short answers or creative writing. Sure the texts might be slightly 'harder' but you will be employing the same analysis techniques on each text so if you aren't able to do that, then you will struggle in Standard as well. So you may as well do Advanced and be in a cohort of students who want to do well, instead of being relegated to a cohort that might not necessarily appreciate English.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Better to be below in advanced, then merely above average in standard..

( Based on most school's results)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
My school was similar to yours; we have a cohort of 240 people but only 40 people were accepted, minus the people leaving which was around ~5 people. Most students, even the ones that were considered smart were placed in standard. Of course, we protested and argued which allowed the number to be about 43 or so... still pretty bad considering my school is top 100 and our cohort is capable. The moral is: do whatever you want to do. The teachers may think they know your capabilities but not their potential.

My advice to you is to take advance. I'm pretty sure they cant force you to take standard; correct me if im wrong on this one. If you're taking biology, chemistry, physics, SOR, extension maths i'm assuming you're already a hard worker due to the high demand those subjects require; if so, why stop your boundaries? Theres comments that say 'only 0.01% get a band 6' whilst '11% attains a band 6 in advance english', which is true. But the bare minimum band for a 90+, considering youre doing well in other subjects is a band 4 and the numbers of band 4-6 is atrocious for standard, i mean only approximately 34% out of about 30,000 students attain a band 4-6 (thats approximately 10,200 people) that whilst about 80% attain bands 4-6 out of 27,000 students (thats 21600 people) - 2013 statistics

Now im not saying that if you undertake standard english that you're doomed to attain a rubbish atar, i know plenty of people who got 90+ with standard english. I'm saying that statistically, you have a higher chance of attaining a good atar if you coupled your subjects with advance english. I know that a couple of BoSers will back me up on this. Good luck!

madditrev

HSC
i know this is late but do advanced. i'm doing advanced for english and maths and it is seriously going to be so much more helpful for the hsc. you learn so much more and it may be a challenge sometimes, but it's well worth it. trust me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)