• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

advanced vs standard (1 Viewer)

>_<

____
HSC
hmm wtf is the point of doing the harder advanced course if they both get scaled the same way (correct me if i'm wrong)

nwatts

HSC
Because it's easier to get higher marks in Advanced due to the nature of how you're taught. Also, the Advanced course uses much better texts.

>_<

____
HSC
hmm i c
Looked over similar threads found some other relevant stuff, shouldn't have made a n00b post about a topic that's been answered 'countless' times lol.
Oh well thx though.

HSC
N/A
The other obvious fact is that you'll learn more from Advanced, and you have the options of doing the extensions. If you hate english, then do standard (because it's compulsary). If you don't mind it so much and want to learn from it, do Advanced.

A l

HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=54082
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=83244

It doesn't matter whether you take Standard or Advanced, your raw and scaled mark should remain the same. It's just that they would result in different aligned marks. The way that they keep it the same is by the Area of Study exam paper where it is common for both Standard and Advanced. So, your marks depend on the state's performance in the Area of Study paper and your ranks can change between the two papers and the ranks in both papers determine your final mark. The mark you receive in the Modules paper is identical to the mark of the person who obtained the same rank in the Area of Study Paper. For example, you come 50th in the Area of Study and another person comes 100th. When you take the modules exam, your ranks with that person is interchanged meaning you rank 100th and he/she ranks 50th. The Area of Study mark remains the same for both of you, but for the Modules paper you get the mark of the other person in the Area of Study exam because you are ranked equally to him/her in the Modules paper relative to his/her rank in the Area of Study.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well - not quite accurate, but close enough for these purposes I suppose.
I agree with Glitterfairy - the main difference is the texts used and the depth to which they are taught. so, if you love english (yes, we freaks exist) then go with advanced with the option of extensions and if you're doing it becuase you have to, go with standard

sky 4k

HSC
if english is not ur thing (like u suck in it) do std.? obviously?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
next time please look at the date of a old thread before replying to it.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Speeking of Irony
For me English hard all round, But I know that in Standard the Struggle would be exactly the same as its not the actual content which is difficult its more the actual concepts of it all. That and my Adv Teacher is good and the standard teachers arent as great

Drag0nblade25

HSC
i think we need decent teachers in both std and adv, unfortunatly for yr 11 i had the best teacher and for yr 12 i dont know whats going on because my new teacher doesnt teach, she just talks. trust me you need good teachers in advanced because we may know a bit more but we still need help. like this f**k*ng brave new world rubbish lol im ready to hang myself its so useless.

And yes im referring to advanced english.

Gangels

HSC
If your in adv. your automatically ranked higher than the standard students. But its just the fact that you passed advanced rather than standard. Thats what an employer would look at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)