Advantages of being a republic.. (1 Viewer)

Do you think Australia should become a republic?

• Yes

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but it's not like we pay taxes to Britain...DO WE?

JonnoisBored

HSC
Gov. General speaks out about Australia becoming a republic

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/06/14/GG_speaks_out_against_Australia_becoming_a_rebuplic

The Governor-General has spoken out on Australia becoming a republic - saying it's too risky for voters to choose a president.

Major-General Michael Jeffrey is worried about changing a system that has worked for over 100 years.

Major-General Jeffrey says a popularly elected president could cause friction between the Head of State and the Prime Minister.
Professor David Flint from Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy says there's no need to change what has worked for the last hundred years.
“We have one of the world’s most successful constitutions.”

“We’re one of the world’s oldest democracies and we just don’t know where we’re going with a republic,” he said.

“What I fear is instability if we have the wrong sort of republic.”

“We just want a constitutional guarantor and we’ve got that now in the Governor-General as Head of State.”
hmmm i think we are ready to become independant.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Re: Gov. General speaks out about Australia becoming a republic

Michael Jeffery's a conservative fuck.

On faggotry: "Baser instincts are titillated in the television displays of events like the Mardi Gras, where the colour and spectacle of fancy dress camouflages a public display of simulated homosexual activity and the degradation of traditional religions in the name of humour."

On womyn: "A British study found a direct statistical link between single parenthood and virtually every type of major crime, including mugging, violence against strangers, car theft and burglary. And the same is true...in Western Australia."

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: Gov. General speaks out about Australia becoming a republic

Graney said:
Michael Jeffery's a conservative fuck.

On faggotry: "Baser instincts are titillated in the television displays of events like the Mardi Gras, where the colour and spectacle of fancy dress camouflages a public display of simulated homosexual activity and the degradation of traditional religions in the name of humour."

On womyn: "A British study found a direct statistical link between single parenthood and virtually every type of major crime, including mugging, violence against strangers, car theft and burglary. And the same is true...in Western Australia."
Hmm this dude is becoming irritating and outspoken lately, maybe he has till September 5th until he retires. Old fart. :)

allyuk

HSC
If Australia did become a republic then it'd be severing the last remaining historical ties it has with the UK (which would be a shame in my opinion) and instead drift closer towards Asian.

....plus the Australian flag you've got now is great! Why change it for sake's sake?:)

Themajority of Brits would no doubt far rather have closer ties with Australia than with the EU (Germany, Romania, Bulgaria etc.) but unfortunately our government are a bunch of dicks!:mad1:

Australia pays no taxes to Britain lol, and you are a free and independent country, no one sees you as part of the UK!

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i voted yes BUT, i sorta dont care. what i rather like that australia change it flag. personally i have an issue with that. iknow, people might thing WTF, but its jsut not aussie. its got a flag of another country on our flag. thats fucked.
stay under the queeen but we need to have our identity. we are known globably for our "green and gold" colours and we got a flag of the UK on our flag. i feel insulted.

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
allyuk said:
If Australia did become a monarchy then it'd be severing the last remaining historical ties it has with the UK and instead drift closer to Asian integration, which would be a shame in my opinion.

....plus the Australian flag you've got now is great! Why change it for sake's sake?:)

Themajority of Brits would no doubt far rather have closer ties with Australia than with the EU (Germany, Romania, Bulgaria etc.) but unfortunately our government are a bunch of dicks!:mad1:

Australia pays no taxes to Britain lol, and you are a free and independent country, no one sees you as part of the UK!
no, i think Australia is better off with the Asian countries. india/china/Indonesia are growing in stature, Australia has got plenty of resources to fulfill their demand. just sucking up the UK/USA to me is just insulting. we are closer to asian countries. we are not on the western hemisphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)