advantages of doing MRB for MED? Bonded rural places and unbonded. (1 Viewer)

goodmornin

Hi
just wondering what the difference was between Medicial Rural Bonded scholarships, John Flynn Scholarships and all those other rural unbonded/bonded scholarships.

Anyone planning on applying for these?

Also... other than getting this lump of scholarship each year, are there any other advantages??

such as.... easier entrace admission into med??

and also... are there any scholarships/ different application types for those who are actually 'rural' and have home addresses in rural places but go to school in metro syd?

please i'd like to know =):)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
MRB is open to anny applicants, whereas the others are for students with a rural background. I think the government are trying to
a) get more doctors FROM rural communities (who will return to practice)
b) get more city kids to work out in the country (hence alleviating the medical crisis in rural and remote areas)
c) do it on the cheap

The John Flynn, if I remember correctly, is offered to people who "live" in a rural place. That is, your home is not a major city. My interpretation of this is that where you went to school is irrelevant so long as your dwelling is rural. You should check that information pack ACER sent you for details, since I can't be bothered doing it for you. ;)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
OK, just a clarifcation on the John Flynn scholarship scheme.

It's open to people who have already gotten into med. It's not the same as a rural bonded scholarship, in that you complete the rural experience part of your scholarship while you're still doing your degree. Basically what the scholaship entails is service for 2-4 weeks per year across a four-year period, in a rural location of your choice. You apply after you get into med, and you can pretty much apply anytime from 1st-3rd year to get a place.

It's very different from rural-bonded scholarships.

As for making it easier to get into med....I don't think so. Perhaps it does, but it shoudn't be the only reason you apply for rural bonded.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm pretty sure it doesn't make it EASIER, apart from creating more places. Again, check the booklet they sent you!

Not A Carrot

It doesn't make it easier- the MRB scholarships are distributed only once the cohort of students has been selected.

goodmornin

thanks you ppls.
thass what i thought... just that my dad got so worked up getting this thing in the mail >.< i told him it doesn't make a difference and i didn't want to apply for the MRB anyway.. he fullly didn't believe arghh...... >.<

also..
so john flynn scholarships are open to ppl who 'live' in rural area?
my home address is rural even tho school is syd..
were we supposed to apply for this earlier? did i miss out?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
no.

you don't apply for john flynn until you get into medicine.

you also don't have to live in the city or country, you can come from anywhere. You just need to b interested in rural health.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Which one is for people living in a rural area? Even I can't be bothered checking the book any more! :rolleyes:

sneeble

Here are the details from the UNSW med FAQ:

7. How will students be selected for the recently announced "bonded to areas of workforce shortage"?

The Australian Government has created a new category of medical student at all Australian medical schools, that of bonded to areas of workforce shortage. The categories that are available at UNSW for local students are now:

1. Unbonded places (146 places)
This category includes standard entry, ACCESS Scheme entry and entry via the Rural Student Entry Scheme. These places have no bonding or scholarships attached to them.
2. Medical Rural Bonded Scholarship places (10 places)
The Medical Rural Bonded Scholarships provide 100 scholarships worth approximately $20,000 a year to new medical students prepared to commit to at least six years of rural practice, once they complete their basic medical and postgraduate training. The Scheme aims to increase the number of doctors practising in rural and remote communities. (For further details see http://www.health.gov.au/workforce/scholar/)
3. Bonded to areas of workforce shortage places (26 places)
Applicants who accept a place in this recently-created category will be "bonded" to areas of workforce shortage. They will be required to work for a minimum of six years in an area of workforce shortage for their chosen speciality. They will undertake this work after completion of the UNSW Medicine Program and postgraduate studies. The Australian Government has indicated that outer metropolitan and rural areas are the likely locations for the six years of bonded work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)