Advice about becoming a tutor (1 Viewer)

d2234

HSC
Hey every one.

As next year I'll be in university I thought I might tutor students to make abit of money.

I plan to tutor students of all ages if possible with maths and science.

To get myself started, where would you guys advise me to advertise. As well what is the common rates of a tutor who is a university student?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Some stuff that you can include:
  • hsc results or other relevant results that are relevant to your own tutoring service
  • other credentials that may prove useful such as UAI, HD from some olympiads, Dux
  • tutoring subjects
  • price
  • experience as a tutor
  • personality (if it is appropriate)
Your price should reflect your HSC/subject results, experience as a tutor, and other costs.

Refer to stickied thread by anti that clearly suggests what you should include what you shouldn't.

Normal starters = 15-25 dollars
Experienced = 25-35
Highly experienced and renowned = 45+

I hope this helped

EDIT: Make a thread on the tutoring forum. And "bump" the thread as you go along.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Have you considered..
1. Your high school's newsletter
2. The classified section of your local newspaper
3. Word of mouth
Not entirely sure as to common rates for uni-aged tutors though.
Good luck!

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Hey every one.

As next year I'll be in university I thought I might tutor students to make abit of money.

I plan to tutor students of all ages if possible with maths and science.

To get myself started, where would you guys advise me to advertise. As well what is the common rates of a tutor who is a university student?
When you get to University, you contact the Student Union services. They offer a service allowing parents to contact to find private tutors. This will really help too. Tutoring is pretty much a business that go from mouth to mouth. You get your first job, and if you help a kid well, your name get passed around. For example, if you tutor a primary school kid who then got a selective school placement. The next year, many parents try to contact you to see if you are interested in helping their kids. They get to know through personal introduction. Another way is to apply for jobs at tutoring colleges. Kids will get to know you quickly. Many tutoring colleges hire University students to be child-care workers supervising little kids in the time the kids stay back to do homework. This is typical at ABC coaching in Fairfield and Hurstville. You get yourself known that way too.

It also depends who you know and hang around with. For example, I am not a tutor. I recently helped my own child to get OC placement with score high above tutored kids. But I don't hang around with people who are busy sending their kids to coaching colleges. So no one has yet found out and ask me to help :) But some tutors that my relatives hired for their kids, they sometimes successfully helped a kid to to get into OC/selective schools, and they get swamped with requests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)