Advice for hsc (1 Viewer)

imagaylord

HSC
My friends have been saying i need to get an apprenticeship because my ranks have been terrible and i wont be able to get into uni or get a good course, i really want to go to uni and its discouraging. I failed three of my trials except for two exams which i got 55% and 56%.
Final ranks: General Maths:28/52 Advance English:64/80 pe: 30/44 history:17/21 economics:25/31. Is this too low to get a 79 which is the required atar for my course even if i do really well in hsc. I heard your hsc mark will be influenced by another student that will get your rank which is not good for me. Pls honestly tell me if it is possible for me.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
Your HSC mark is the average of two components: your exam mark and your assessment mark. If the average is not a whole number, then it will be rounded up (eg 85.5 will be rounded up to 86).

The assessment mark is a measure of your performance in the HSC course assessment tasks from Year 11 Term 4 onwards RELATIVE TO YOUR GRADE AT SCHOOL. Your school will only send the ranks to the Board of Studies, not the actual marks themselves since every school will have variations in marking schemes and exam difficulty.
Assessment marks are given based on the actual HSC exams. I'll give you an example:

Jenny: Rank #1 internally, HSC exam mark: 82
Walter: Rank #2 internally, HSC exam mark: 85
John: Rank #3 internally, HSC exam mark: 79
Ben: Rank #4 internally, HSC exam mark: 78

The assessment marks will be given as follows:
Jenny is rank 1, so she gets the highest exam mark of her grade as her assessment mark: 85. So her final mark is the average of 85 and her exam mark (82). that gives 83.5, rounded up to 84.
Walter is rank 2, so he gets the 2nd highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 82. His final mark is the rounded up average of 85 and 82 (84).
John is rank 3, so he gets the 3rd highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 79. His final mark is the average of 79 and 79, so that's 79.
Walter is rank 4, so he gets the 4th highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 78. His final mark is the average of 78 and 78 so that's 78.

If you messed up your trials it's not the end of the world. Firstly, look at what you did wrong there and relearn those concepts. From here on doing as many past papers as you can is of the utmost importance since it is absolutely critical that you do fairly well in the HSC exams.

Remember, at the end of the day, the HSC exam marks don't define who you are as a person. There are alternative entry pathways into university and you can do a different course and hope to transfer from there into your dream course.

Snowflek

HSC
Your HSC mark is the average of two components: your exam mark and your assessment mark. If the average is not a whole number, then it will be rounded up (eg 85.5 will be rounded up to 86).

The assessment mark is a measure of your performance in the HSC course assessment tasks from Year 11 Term 4 onwards RELATIVE TO YOUR GRADE AT SCHOOL. Your school will only send the ranks to the Board of Studies, not the actual marks themselves since every school will have variations in marking schemes and exam difficulty.
Assessment marks are given based on the actual HSC exams. I'll give you an example:

Jenny: Rank #1 internally, HSC exam mark: 82
Walter: Rank #2 internally, HSC exam mark: 85
John: Rank #3 internally, HSC exam mark: 79
Ben: Rank #4 internally, HSC exam mark: 78

The assessment marks will be given as follows:
Jenny is rank 1, so she gets the highest exam mark of her grade as her assessment mark: 85. So her final mark is the average of 85 and her exam mark (82). that gives 83.5, rounded up to 84.
Walter is rank 2, so he gets the 2nd highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 82. His final mark is the rounded up average of 85 and 82 (84).
John is rank 3, so he gets the 3rd highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 79. His final mark is the average of 79 and 79, so that's 79.
Walter is rank 4, so he gets the 4th highest exam mark of the grade as his assessment mark: 78. His final mark is the average of 78 and 78 so that's 78.

If you messed up your trials it's not the end of the world. Firstly, look at what you did wrong there and relearn those concepts. From here on doing as many past papers as you can is of the utmost importance since it is absolutely critical that you do fairly well in the HSC exams.

Remember, at the end of the day, the HSC exam marks don't define who you are as a person. There are alternative entry pathways into university and you can do a different course and hope to transfer from there into your dream course.
Isnt that just the general picture? I thought the school does send in marks for the moderation process to separate out the marks between ranks.

xulander

HSC
i'm sure if u study hard from now u can easily get 80+ raw marks in all your external hsc exams, which should be enough for 75-80 if ur cohort does well. and ur school rank is 75 so u would expect ur cohort to do relatively well.

i'm kinda in ur position as well, i did shit in internals. all my ranks r well below average except for 4 of my 11 units. i want a 90+ atar so i have to get high external marks to even have a chance. my school's usually ranked in the 20s so hopefully there's still hope for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)