advice for prospective comm/law student please ! (1 Viewer)

wayneking33

HSC
Hey guys would really appreciate abit of input.

I got a UAI that puts me well above the 2008 cutoff required for unsw comm/law but just below usyd cutoff for comm/law.

However I also managed to score a cadetship with a Big 4 firm earlier in the year and its something that I'm kind of reluctant to give up. Shame as they clearly stated that they won't allow double degrees (although I'm thinking that it can be negotiated..?).

At this point I'm interested in going into accounting/finance(i.e. investment banking most likely) or head the other way into the law side of things through comm/law. Yes I'm aware that the banking industry is in a sh@#storm atm and probably will be for a few years. But I'm thinking that it might blow over in 2013 when I complete my degree and jobs will come round again?

So basically I'd just like some advice on whether to do comm/law and gun for whatever I'm interested in 5 years time or should I take the more secure path in these times of financial turmoil and cement an analyst position with a big 4 firm at the end of a straight commerce degree in 3.5 years time? Also I'm a tad paranoid that the unsw cutoff might jump by 0.2+ from last year which would leave me screwed over if I were to drop the cadetship here and now.

Also is it true that you're only allowed to do one commerce major in comm/law?

Cheers guys really appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

MasterPUA

HSC
Take the option with the best exit opportunities - Comm/Law.

You can move from ibanking into the big 4. You can't move from the big 4 into ibanking. The big 4 cadetship is no where near as glorious as it sounds - any chump can score one of these gigs.

Taking a standard BCom degree is definitely NOT the most secure path. This is the one degree that I would be avoiding during this time. Comm/Law is infinitely more secure.

wayneking33

HSC
I guess the only secure thing is a guaranteed job that pays 60k upon grad.

What would be tougher btw, getting an IB internship or a clerkship at say...a big 6 law firm?

lionking1191

HSC
wayneking33 said:
Hey guys would really appreciate abit of input.

I got a UAI that puts me well above the 2008 cutoff required for unsw comm/law but just below usyd cutoff for comm/law.

However I also managed to score a cadetship with a Big 4 firm earlier in the year and its something that I'm kind of reluctant to give up. Shame as they clearly stated that they won't allow double degrees (although I'm thinking that it can be negotiated..?).

At this point I'm interested in going into accounting/finance(i.e. investment banking most likely) or head the other way into the law side of things through comm/law. Yes I'm aware that the banking industry is in a sh@#storm atm and probably will be for a few years. But I'm thinking that it might blow over in 2013 when I complete my degree and jobs will come round again?

So basically I'd just like some advice on whether to do comm/law and gun for whatever I'm interested in 5 years time or should I take the more secure path in these times of financial turmoil and cement an analyst position with a big 4 firm at the end of a straight commerce degree in 3.5 years time? Also I'm a tad paranoid that the unsw cutoff might jump by 0.2+ from last year which would leave me screwed over if I were to drop the cadetship here and now.

Also is it true that you're only allowed to do one commerce major in comm/law?

Cheers guys really appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
i'd just take the straight commerce, double major route. if ur not interested in law it'll just be a waste of time with no guaranteed job upon grad.

wayneking33

HSC
I'd like the law because it opens up many other options in addition to it giving you a better shot at M&A.

Anyone with a bit of personal experience like to shed some more light on this whether it be with IB or law & clerkships?

wayneking33

HSC
I understand that to be competitive for IB you have to be a high credit/distinction with all the extra bells and whistles.

Realistically, how hard is it to maintain those kind of marks for 5 years in 2 degrees?

MasterPUA

HSC
it's hard.

if you are the 'ass beats class' type like me, it's very hard!

wayneking33

HSC
It's tempting to take an easier path...

Not looking forward to another 5 odd HSC-esque years

MasterPUA

HSC
what were your marks?

try and renegotiate with the firm.

As a comm/law student, you will have no problem getting into the big 4 at any time. I know plenty of comm/law students working in Tax at big 4 firms. Most of these students have no intention of staying in tax - it was just an easy to obtain internship.

wayneking33

HSC
Mid 99 UAI. Good, but not the best.
Are you working already or still uni?

I'm also curious about law because I don't know much about the career path. Is it tougher to get into than an IB?

Last edited:

transient

HSC
If you're good in terms of grades and extra curricular, the big 6 law firms will want you once you graduate, especially if you go to USYD or UNSW.

I was in a similar position to you - I was offered a cadetship, with the option of doing a double degree of laws as well - however this would have taken too long to complete my degree and so I decided against doing so. On another note, try negotiating with your employer about doing a double degree.

Also, I chose Comm/Law because I think that yes, it does provide more paths in the future, but also, Law will also be advantageous even in Commerce areas.

A cadetship is great but if you're a good student, i.e. have good uni grades, then I'm sure you won't have a big problem later in terms of employment and a better financial climate. Interview process etc also shouldn't be too much of a problem for you later because you've already been offered a cadetship proving your soft skill abilities.

MasterPUA

HSC
wayneking33 said:
Mid 99 UAI. Good, but not the best.
Are you working already or still uni?

I'm also curious about law because I don't know much about the career path. Is it tougher to get into than an IB?
I work and do post grad uni part time. It's easier to get into a top law firm than a top investment bank.

also, transient's post is on the money.

is a roflcopter
HSC
take comm/law

4 years from now, IB will be back
so its a good time to do things now

HSC
hmmmm...no one can be sure

but in all likelyhood it they should be hiring more than they are now! :)

anyway, Investment Banking is a very intense career path and many people burn out after a few years

Also, getting through the interview process and obtaining an offer is difficult.

You really have to want to not only give it a shot, but work 12 hour days, weekends, sometimes 16 hour days+

No great social life because of the long hours.

These are just the negatives of course...

Anyway, everyone should make up their own mind

HipHop

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Work hard play hard. Im in a different industry but I work similar hours - 100/week and I have a good social life (better than what I did have at uni).

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
I'm doing comm/law too, and having done my research, it's the best way of scoring an IB gig even before your degree ends, especially if you get good marks. Plus, with the comm/law, you can get into stuff like corporate law, or management consulting, where they value communication skills etc etc. Like said above, it opens more doors, instead of just accountancy. And big 4 cadetship pays crap anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)