• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

advice for ruse?? (1 Viewer)

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
i know some people finish mx1 du in year 11 as well as well as all of phys/chem at zhangs —> go to another centre e.g cognito for hsc yr but they're generally outliers

wrapper

HSC
wow. obviously, i must be hanging around with a different group. i know some going to kurts but know zero people for dr du.
i don't attend those tutoring centre at the moment, but was thinking about the same, dr du or kurts before the final exam.
seriosuly tho, i think it might be just your class who are doing kurts/dr du homework during class as teachers were talking to other classes about it. besides, don't we get detention for that?
you're supposed to get detention for it but when a maths room is completely silent and all the teacher cares about is whether or not your pen is moving, i suppose it's pretty easy to get away with doing a test from kurt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ obv it's harder to get away with during other classes so i don't think anyone does it. but i've seen people do their work during breaks

could be my mistake but i think a lot of people go to kurt; people are always talking abt the detentions/which class they're in or whether or not they have friends in them. plus, it's close to epping station which is a major stop for a lot of the students. du is a lot less popular imo but i still hear discussion about a1/a2/a3/b classes and whatever what taught that week. i reckon the reason why it's less popular is due to the pricepoint, and the idea that kurt may be more "efficient" at learning the content. some people also go to places like uplift or cs among others but i think they're more lowkey..

honestly at this point i think it's not impossible to get a good grade on the yearly without tutoring, i'm just more concerned about the fact i might fall behind in later years as others are already learning that stuff now

which class r u in btw

wrapper

HSC
i know some people finish mx1 du in year 11 as well as well as all of phys/chem at zhangs —> go to another centre e.g cognito for hsc yr but they're generally outliers
??? yeah but i'm in y9 wondering whether to start or not

wrapper

HSC
Not posted in a while but I didn't study until end of year 11 and still got into med etc so its fine.
were you stressed during junior years? like y9/y10 were you just unbothered about studying and tests? unless if you mean that you didn't seriously study; e.g. you looked back on the content a little before the tests etc

also why did you start at the end of y11? just curious why you didn't start at the beginning or mid-y11 or even late y10

iloveeggs

HSC
yeah i was wondering about the validity of the stuff that you get taught as a y9: my friends are often talking abt the y11/y12 content that they learn at dr du (generally complaining about how they're never gonna finish the hw 😭)... so i was wondering if they'll still remember the y11/y12 stuff later on.

i don't really want to aim for top of my cohort so early; in y9/y10 honestly i just want to get by while still doing other things (extracirriculars) so i guess there really isn't a need for tutoring in that respect. my main concern was getting left behind since most people are doing science/math tutoring at a rlly high level.

also although i can't speak from a personal viewpoint, dr du seems pretty helpful for ruse kids as its a lot more holistic and quite a few people go
honestly though theres a bunch of people who go to both du and kurt, and some even go to a third/fourth one lmao
wow out of all the ruse kids ive ever come across you're the only one ive heard with a sensible perspective on tutoring, which is great honestly

this is a rant nobody asked for but here goes:

so there is this guy in my family friend circle whose children go to ruse and baulko, and this family stared berating other families and their kids for being too dumb (i go to a top 50 selective school but apparently thats not good enough). they saw some potential in me or some shit and got my parents to join me in as many tuitions in yr 8-10 as they joined their daughter in. she coped bc she does little to nothing outside of studying, and i had extracurriculars and school leadership commitments.

im someone who has always done amazing in school but bc of my tutoring commitments over the years and fear of quitting and seeming stupid to other ppl i burnt out completely bc of the worklo9ad. even tho i still do good i have totally lost confidence in myself. like yeah im smart but bc tutoring takes up so much of my time my grades have definitely tanked, and now i have crazy anxiety and stress for no reason.

the point of me saying that is: dont be like me. yr 7-9 should be about you just vaguely thinking about what you want your senior years to look like, figuring out what your interests are, of studying but still just learning study skills and trying your best yk. its supposed to be relaxed and when you spend it stressing you lose all the hapiness you have in life so quickly.

if you arent struggling with something at school, i don't recommend tutoring at all ngl. even if you want to get ahead or smth. what is the point of covering things a year before they come up in school? ive done that for 4 years now and ive seen little to no returns for the sheer amount of effort ive put in. what really matters is whether you study and pay attention in school. and if youre thinking abt major tutoring centres like kurt, dr du zhangs, take it from me, its useless going there from yr 7-9 bc you wont remember any of it by the time you get to it in school

iloveeggs

HSC
i had a band 6 in hsc adv at the start of this yr and he kept telling me if i want a band 6 in math i should do standard. like i love his resources and all but hes just too extreme for the average person in his tutoring centre bc the kids there are smart. atp im convinced if you want to willingly go to kurt its bc you like it when he degrades you or some weird shit like that

iloveeggs

HSC
wow. obviously, i must be hanging around with a different group. i know some going to kurts but know zero people for dr du.
i don't attend those tutoring centre at the moment, but was thinking about the same, dr du or kurts before the final exam.
seriosuly tho, i think it might be just your class who are doing kurts/dr du homework during class as teachers were talking to other classes about it. besides, don't we get detention for that?
kurt is popular with ruse and nsb as well as a few private school kids - and yeah the culture is exactly like that. ik did kurt hw in all of my classes in school and i dont go to ruse or anythign, its just bc you dont have time to do it all and do other stuff after school. someone ik personally takes math tutoring just to help with kurt. not sure what the point of that is but some ppl have too much money an need to blow it somehow

anonymoushehe

HSC
kurt is popular with ruse and nsb as well as a few private school kids - and yeah the culture is exactly like that. ik did kurt hw in all of my classes in school and i dont go to ruse or anythign, its just bc you dont have time to do it all and do other stuff after school. someone ik personally takes math tutoring just to help with kurt. not sure what the point of that is but some ppl have too much money an need to blow it somehow
you can’t be serious wth is the point 😭

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)