Advice on 4 unit maths (1 Viewer)

ssukarieh1

HSC
Hey guys! I just wanted to get some advice on whether i should keep Extension 2 maths. I am currently a year 12 student who has 13 units including extension 2, however i did accelerate both 2 unit and Extension 1 maths, achieving 98 and 48, respectively and ranking first in both. I love maths, and am very passionate about it, however I am not sure if I should drop it to focus on my other subjects. Maths is a rigorous course that requires ample amounts of practice, and i don't know what would be best atar wise. Another problem is that with my 98 in 2 unit maths, does that discount if i do extension 2? And is it worth it? Thanks!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
13units is stupid considering you've already completed 3 HSC units

imo since you are good at math you should keep 4U and drop another subject or if you do not like math drop 4U and you can keep your 2/3 unit mark, you will only need to compete 8 more units anyway so you can drop 2 subjects

if you do 4U yes your 2u mark does not count towards your atar

ssukarieh1

HSC
If i were to keep maths, I would probably drop legal studies ? Wise decision?

ssukarieh1

HSC
ok thanks for the advice...you've given me lots to think about

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
nws, since it is term 1 if I was you I would make the decision quickly since half yearlies and other assessments would be coming up

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming you are currently doing 13 units right now.

baktiar77

HSC
If i were to keep maths, I would probably drop legal studies ? Wise decision?
It depends. If you're good at memorising legislation, cases, media articles and have amazing teachers who give you all the info for all possible types of essay i would say to keep it. Legal is content-heavy.

If not, go for 4u. Especially if your maths minded.

ssukarieh1

HSC
I like it and im good at it, I also rank first in it, but I'd probably rather do maths...the only issue is that I'm afraid that maths will take up all of my time and I tend to give it priority over other subjects ahahahah

ssukarieh1

HSC
Btw I officially do 13 units, but since 3 are completed, technically i am studying 10.

ssukarieh1

HSC
And also that probably means I need to get a tutor for maths and what not...

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
My personal advice, taking into account what you've said: drop legal and keep 4U. Don't worry about maths taking up all your time; you have complete control over how you spend your time, and you don't need to spend all your time on 4U in order to do well in the subject.

And also that probably means I need to get a tutor for maths and what not...
Given your marks in 2U and 3U, it seems like you have little need for a tutor for maths. (You don't need tutoring in order to do well.)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
What purpose does Legal Studies serve you? It is of course, like various other subjects very interesting in its own right. But you can always read it up when you have completed your HSC; for that matter you can read up on lots of other subjects like History and Studies of Religion - being non-technical subjects, you should be able to study them on your own, if you are so inclined. Legal Studies is not a prerequisite for any university course (but then again, many subjects that should have been specified as prerequisites have been listed as 'assumed knowledge' by the very irresponsible universities).

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I was told that 3 unit maths is about methods and 4 unit maths is about knowing your theory

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
I highly recommend keeping 4U. I reckon it's very rewarding. For me, the amount of time was worth it. When you completely understand the concept in all the 4U topics, you've gotten a major part down already. Plus, a section of 4U is harder 3U, and evidently, you understand the 3U course very thoroughly. For some of the topics, you are simply building on what you already know.

Plus, if you are the type of person who struggles to write non-stop for the duration of 3 hours, then maths is the way to go.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I highly recommend keeping 4U. I reckon it's very rewarding. For me, the amount of time was worth it. When you completely understand the concept in all the 4U topics, you've gotten a major part down already. Plus, a section of 4U is harder 3U, and evidently, you understand the 3U course very thoroughly. For some of the topics, you are simply building on what you already know.

Plus, if you are the type of person who struggles to write non-stop for the duration of 3 hours, then maths is the way to go.
One thing I never understood but what is the point of teaching harder 3 unit in the 4 unit course? It might as well be taught in 3 unit so then it can save time although it is the hardest 4 unit topic. There's no new theory or anything other than that's it's a million times harder

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
One thing I never understood but what is the point of teaching harder 3 unit in the 4 unit course? It might as well be taught in 3 unit so then it can save time although it is the hardest 4 unit topic. There's no new theory or anything other than that's it's a million times harder
Maybe they thought it was too harsh to put into the HSC 3U course. There is some new theory, like inequalities, strong induction, etc.

addybrah

HSC
don't do 13 units lol, the extra subject (legal) will be a massive drain of your time and will bring your other subjects down. it's much better to do 4u and put the extra time you have into English, this will pump up your atar heaps.

for someone with a math base like yours, 4u won't be overly difficult. it makes your 2/3u math very transferable (you will be able to use all the stuff you learnt last yr, compare this to legal which is pretty much learnt in isolation to your other subjects). on top of that, if you do 4u, your 3u maths will count as 2 units (and you really won't have to study it again too much) which is a lot better for your atar. plus, 4u is also really interesting, and most people who do it enjoy it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe also ask your mathematics/legal teacher?

Also see if you can have a look at past HSC students performance in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)