Advice on getting course-related summer work experience/internship? (1 Viewer)

danielvh

HSC
Hey guys

I'm in first year and was wondering if you could help me out with answering a couple things:

1) Would it be worth it from a career point of view trying to find course-related work experience or internship for the summer holidays?
2) Can anyone give me any advice on finding such a position (in Perth)?

Thanks

Daniel

phrred

HSC
what do you do if you're a student finishing 3rd year doing a 5 year degree. All the large firms ask for penultimates. Are there any chances of getting course-related work for non-penums?

Rorix

HSC
Try now. Nothing to lose.

Rorix

HSC
So no-one in history has gotten one in first year???

Try, nothing to lose.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Give it a shot, nobody ever died from trying to get vacation work. Your best chance will be to get some auditing or similar experience at an accounting firm.

In Perth there are numerous firms you may wish to try for:

PricewaterhouseCoopers
Enrst & Young
Deloitte
KPMG
Pitcher Partners
RSM Bird Cameron
BDO Kendalls

All of these places should have a summer vacation program. You apply to them through their website careers section.

Just a few words of caution. These programs are competitive to get into. A lot of them are set up so that you do them in your second last year, then take a job with them before you graduate.

You'll be up against 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and sometimes 5th year students. Being a first year means you'll be at the bottom of the heap, but don't let that put you off. It just means you'll have to put in some more effort on you applications to stand out that much easier.

Best of luck with it all mate.

danielvh

HSC
Thanks for the advice. I should have specified in the first post but I'm looking for something besides accounting/finance :p

Anythiny else anyone can suggest? Maybe something more to do with economics or information management?

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
danielvh said:
Thanks for the advice. I should have specified in the first post but I'm looking for something besides accounting/finance :p

Anythiny else anyone can suggest? Maybe something more to do with economics or information management?
Haha. Ah well.

I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Although the Big4 do have their own risk management and information management divisions.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i reckon big4 ban people if you fuck around with the penultimate rule

so only do it if you reckon big4 isnt the final destination for you

ks21

HSC
how about trying to approach some small firms directly for unpaid work? Any kind of experience this summer will go a long way to secure vacation employment in your penultimate year.

danielvh

HSC
ks21 said:
how about trying to approach some small firms directly for unpaid work? Any kind of experience this summer will go a long way to secure vacation employment in your penultimate year.
Any suggestions of firms to approach?

ks21

HSC
danielvh said:
Any suggestions of firms to approach?
I live in Syd, so don't know much about the firms in Perth. Look around and do some research, I'm sure a lot of small firms will be more than happy to take on a extra hand (for free that is, lol) for the summer.

koube0530

HSC
Newbie said:
i reckon big4 ban people if you fuck around with the penultimate rule

so only do it if you reckon big4 isnt the final destination for you
What do you mean? There're a lot of non-penultimates there.

is a roflcopter
HSC
well for their summer programs
they recruit exclusively for penultimates
they ask you this numerous times on the phone and in person and online

so at the end of the program, when they wana offer you something fulltime and you go "erm...btw i got 2 years left on my degree". essentially you have lied to their face on numerous occasions.

BANNED

there are ways around this but you get my point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)