Advice on "Memorising" Content (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
For English - I used to read out my written essays out loud and repeat after each sentence since I'm an auditory learner
For heavy content subjects - Since I'm more of a practical person, I prefer doing more practice questions and reviewing the answers and naturally, the more questions I do, the more likely there are to be similar questions so it'll jog my memory and I'll be able to regurgitate the correct answer.

Issatahir02

HSC
For English - I used to read out my written essays out loud and repeat after each sentence since I'm an auditory learner
For heavy content subjects - Since I'm more of a practical person, I prefer doing more practice questions and reviewing the answers and naturally, the more questions I do, the more likely there are to be similar questions so it'll jog my memory and I'll be able to regurgitate the correct answer.
Ah, so you utilise resources like notes to help you answer practice questions?

Jolteon

HSC
Ah, so you utilise resources like notes to help you answer practice questions?
Yup! I used to answer my questions with my notes right next to me so I am writing the perfect/correct answer and then since I've written it out, I find it much easier to commit to memory. Once I do that, I look at the answers to see what I'm missing and then add any additional useful information or key vocabulary into my notes so my future answers won't be missing anything.

But of course, later on you'll have to stop doing that and start doing that without notes.
I also graduated doing the old syllabus so I had a lot of resources/past papers so I didn't have to worry about running out of practice exams.

Also! Always write or type out your anwers when you are doing questions! My friend used to do the questions in her 'head' but I think that muscle memory definitely helps in the long run.

Issatahir02

HSC
Yup! I used to answer my questions with my notes right next to me so I am writing the perfect/correct answer and then since I've written it out, I find it much easier to commit to memory. Once I do that, I look at the answers to see what I'm missing and then add any additional useful information or key vocabulary into my notes so my future answers won't be missing anything.

But of course, later on you'll have to stop doing that and start doing that without notes.
I also graduated doing the old syllabus so I had a lot of resources/past papers so I didn't have to worry about running out of practice exams.

Also! Always write or type out your anwers when you are doing questions! My friend used to do the questions in her 'head' but I think that muscle memory definitely helps in the long run.
I definitely agree and can relate! Thanks.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
My friend used to do the questions in her 'head'
^
This was me as well OP. I pretty much wrote nothing for any of my subjects except Maths and English. I did all the questions in my head and would look at the sample answer to check if I had remembered all the important points. I believe this helped me save a LOT of time and paper and plus it got me good marks.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
For hardcore memorizing I would just grab a textbook and read straight out of it. The way I found best to memorize would be to read a paragraph and then read the next paragraph. After I've read the next paragraph I would recite the prev paragraph and if I missed anything I would read it again. This I found to be the most efficient way of memorizing because it meant I forgot very little and so in SDD for example my answers to the long answer questions were literally word for word from the textbook. I used to joke about this like how my HSC long answers were literally plagiarized from a textbook imao.

AKONS

HSC
What works for me is similar to B1andB2.

I first look at a small section of my notes and then try to explain the content to myself in the mirror. Once I've been able to well enough, I continue onto the next section.
I find this is personally a more efficient use of my time as I find rewriting notes to be time consuming and does not really work for me.

Issatahir02

HSC
For hardcore memorizing I would just grab a textbook and read straight out of it. The way I found best to memorize would be to read a paragraph and then read the next paragraph. After I've read the next paragraph I would recite the prev paragraph and if I missed anything I would read it again. This I found to be the most efficient way of memorizing because it meant I forgot very little and so in SDD for example my answers to the long answer questions were literally word for word from the textbook. I used to joke about this like how my HSC long answers were literally plagiarized from a textbook imao.
Haha, Biology has definitely reached that pinnacle point....

DanielTheMan

HSC
If you're talking about memorization of languages and sciences (or any subject which contains lots of definitions) I highly recommend using the 'learn' feature on quizlet.com . IMO, its the most efficient and easiest way to memorize a lot in a short amount of time.

dasfas

HSC
If you're talking about memorization of languages and sciences (or any subject which contains lots of definitions) I highly recommend using the 'learn' feature on quizlet.com . IMO, its the most efficient and easiest way to memorize a lot in a short amount of time.
I second this, I used quizlet for all my sciences and attribute a large part of my success from doing flashcards

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Find which learning method works best for you and go with that, for example not everyone is a visual learner or auditory learner etc. I just read the notes a few times and tried to think in my head what I learnt after reading that syllabus dot point. Also asking questions to group chats helps you learn the content but helps test others if they understand it too :) English I memorised quotes only so I made acronyms for each topic/module to remember which order the quotes were in!

1-99

HSC
N/A
It always helps me to colour code certain parts of text – for some reason this helps me to remember the content

Oh and not have any music or anything playing in the background helps too lol

Neetudear1

HSC
writing is the best to memorise. write down whatever you memorise

RossoneriAU

HSC
What I'd recommend is ACRONYMS! If you're doing a content-heavy course like Business Studies or Modern History, acronyms will honestly be the best and most useful tools for memorising. What I did was dedicated an 'acronyms page' to each unit that I studied, which I handwrote out entirely. I would put in red the first letter of each word that formed the acronym as a sorta trigger to help me remember them. All I did was read through my acronyms just before I went to bed and as soon as I woke up in the mornings around two weeks before exams. Around 2/3 days before, I would go through them sometime throughout the day to make sure I have everything memorised, and brush up on anything that I hadn't fully memorised yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)