Advice on motivation for study? :S (1 Viewer)

in-sane

HSC
i moved to a new school this year, and i am finding it hard to 'adapt' to the school.

in my previous school, everything was relaxed, but at the current school, everyone is just so competitive and smart that it overwhelms me, and makes me wish i never transferred schools.

to the point that i say to myself 'what's the point in studying? i would be in the bottom heap anyway.' and hence i'd leave everything the last minute.

an example of this would be my economics test which i'm not so proud to say i barely got 30%... but other people are also 'depressed' by their marks of 80%.

this kind of attitude actually scares me, but i don't know how to get out of it.
i just can't find the motivation to study...

anyway to get out of this and change my attitude towards work/study? :S
any advice appreciated! :)

Last edited:

party

HSC
no matter what school you go to, everyone in yr11 and yr 12 is competitive.
you just have to fight and fight to get the mark i know it is hard but say to yourself
im just like that person, they only reason they are getting the mark is because he licks the teachers foot thats why that person is getting the mark. and start from there
i hope this helped :S

Flying_Penis

Banned
HSC
Just do what i did, go to your room, draw a penis make it your dp.

HSC
@the OP. I agree that every year 11/12 cohort lifts come the HSC years. Personally, in years 8, 9 and 10, outright first for each subject wasn't something 'difficult'. Now, It's just so competitive and more difficult to achieve a decent rank.

To motivate yourself, write on a piece of paper all the 'trash' these kids talk and stick it on your wall or somewhere you will always see it. Think about future goals, desired ATAR and so on. Don't constantly see things as a competition, focus more so on obtaining marks that are up in band 5/6 territory for yourself, eventually you'll adapt and see things from a competitive perspective.

Best of luck.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
transfer to a school where people are more relaxed or dont care about their hsc
The HSC is competitive everywhere and is always cared about in secondary school.

As for motivation:
- Have a goal in your head (my one is DUX of year 11 and HSC)

This usually helps but if all else fails, I go for energy drinks. Though many people wouldn't recommend this, and I'm not recommending it either, but it usually does the trick when I want to get my work done and find the motivation to study.

in-sane

HSC
Just do what i did, go to your room, draw a penis make it your dp.
i don't see how calling myself a penis would motivate me...?

and thanks for all the encouragement + advices. :)

i'll try and set myself goals.
but i'm somewhat reluctant bcos i keep thinking that i would fail and disappoint myself. :S ...

i guess the relaxed environment made me feel safe, with my friends + familiar teachers. the change was just like an 'eye opener' in a way. like to see so many others who are so bright and competitive... sort of lowers my self esteem.
that, and i don't feel that i'm fitting well with the students of the new school. /:

1titanic

HSC
@the OP. I agree that every year 11/12 cohort lifts come the HSC years. Personally, in years 8, 9 and 10, outright first for each subject wasn't something 'difficult'. Now, It's just so competitive and more difficult to achieve a decent rank.

To motivate yourself, write on a piece of paper all the 'trash' these kids talk and stick it on your wall or somewhere you will always see it. Think about future goals, desired ATAR and so on. Don't constantly see things as a competition, focus more so on obtaining marks that are up in band 5/6 territory for yourself, eventually you'll adapt and see things from a competitive perspective.

Best of luck.

Yeh that's what I did too. On one side of a cardboard I write what will happen/ feelings I get if I achieved my goal and on the opposite side i write the feelings if I don't achieve that goal !
Remember, don't focus on the outcome ( assumptions you make/people's expectations), focus on the process of doing it !

Amogh

HSC
N/A
The HSC is competitive everywhere and is always cared about in secondary school.
Not reaally
You should've gone to my old school...not very intense

To OP
Let your final objectives entice and lure you through this phase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)