Advice on my uac preferences please! I'm stuck :L (1 Viewer)

lvella10

HSC
Okay so I had until yesterday planned on doing undergraduate medicine, however my umat was well below the cutoff and i'm not going to be a .95er. So with that said, I need a new undergraduate degree to pursue, however I really cannot decide! So in short, any advice would be brilliant!

As I am so stuck with what I want to do instead of med ( atleast until I decide whether to try and transfer/ do postgrad ) the courses I mention will be in no particular order.

B. App Sci ( Speech path ) - usyd
B. Physio - acu
B. Commerce - usyd or mq with double major in accounting and finance
B. Commerce - professional accounting - mq
B. Speech Path - acu
B. Speech and hearing sci - mq
B. Nursing adv studies - usyd
B. Nursing adv - uws
B. Nursing practice leadership - acu
B. Nursing ( fast tracked ) - utas

Any advice would be lovely! I've been fiddling around for the last day now trying to figure it out, but I can't pick between the pros and cons of each

HSC
Uni Grad
heh, i was in the exact same position as you last year
but i re-did umat and yay :)

i was tossing up between mechanical/biomedical engineering, optometry, medical science and comm/law (wtf right?)

if you've never wanted to do anything besides med then i wouldn't expect you to suddenly decide on the rest of your life

you won't be able to make a proper decision

this is how i summed things up in my mind last year:

engineering - interesting, good job prospects, hard to get high marks to transfer
optometry - good job prospects, easy marks, boring as fuck job
medical science - interesting, easy marks, no decent jobs
law - ~prestige~, tbh the only reason i considered law was because i got the atar for it

in the end i chose med sci

-----

have you considered optometry or pharmacy?

HSC
Uni Grad
chances are your umat will improve next year

majority of ppl i've spoken to at UNSW med sci have improved their scores dramatically (like +20 percentile)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
IF you're set on UMAT, can you try the transfer path maybe with Med Sci or resitting UMAT? Or maybe doing and Adv Science degree or something and trying grad med and if not doing a Master for one those fields? Also if you're expecting a high ATAR but not .95 have you looked into Melbourne and other unis guaranteed entries into grad med?

Was your UMAT too low for UWS or UNCLE?

lvella10

HSC
I considered pharmacy, but I personally wouldn't enjoy the course. I like the way you determined which course to pick though! :) I was wondering if you knew how hard the commerce degree would be?

And yes my umat was too low for uws and the jmp :(
I'm not considering jcu due to proximity to family etc.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I find it funny how people always try for Med and if they can't get in, they try to do a B.Comm or such. There totally different degrees,if you really want to do Med do something at least remotely related and then transfer or Post-Grad. Just because B.Comm has lots of jobs doesn't mean you'll get one that suits you. Yes B.Comm is hard(from others) getting Distinction will require effort, anything less then Distinction and you're going to be applying for mid-tier firms or lower like everyone else.(few expections)

lvella10

HSC
I find it funny how people always try for Med and if they can't get in, they try to do a B.Comm or such. There totally different degrees,if you really want to do Med do something at least remotely related and then transfer or Post-Grad. Just because B.Comm has lots of jobs doesn't mean you'll get one that suits you. Yes B.Comm is hard(from others) getting Distinction will require effort, anything less then Distinction and you're going to be applying for mid-tier firms or lower like everyone else.(few expections)
I had initially wanted to be an accountant until about year 9, when I realised medicine was a possibility. ( Back then I was unaware it was a normal course etc. ) So that's my reasoning for B.Comm :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I had initially wanted to be an accountant until about year 9, when I realised medicine was a possibility. ( Back then I was unaware it was a normal course etc. ) So that's my reasoning for B.Comm :)
That's fair enough then. my point still stands for others though.

lvella10

HSC
That's fair enough then. my point still stands for others though.
That's fair enough. I too am frustrated by people whom enter degrees without a total passion and or thought for the degree.

lvella10

HSC
How hard is it to internally transfer at Macquarie after a semester from B.Comm to B.Comm/LLB ? Or is this an unnecessary venture for someone interested in forensic accounting, auditing or dependent on my life style preferences a few years from now investment banking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)