• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advice on resumes and jobseeking for a first job? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I really need a job. I'm bored sh*tless in the school holidays and on weekends and I really need some extra money.

Trouble is, i'm new to this. I'm 16 and in Year 11, I don't really have any good references aside from a couple of neighbours who I have done odd jobs for (for money) in the past. Some internet resources tell me not to bother with a resume for a first job, but just about every store website tells you to attach your resume to the application form. For acheivements and hobbies, i'm not really sporty and don't do any extracurricular activities, and my hobbies mainly consist of computers and gaming, not something worth bragging about.

I applied to about 10 or so places a couple of months ago, heard nothing, I assume that means I won't hear anything back from them. What kind of places do you recommend a 16 year old with no experience to apply to? I don't really want to work in fast food, the pay is sh*t, it's high pressure all the time and i've heard the staff aren't treated too well.

But yeah any advice/criticism on what i've said?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, a 16 year old with no experience is pretty much relegated to menial jobs like in fast food or in retail.

But if you need references, get one from your school, maybe.

Plus, if you're bored... umm, you should go study, perhaps?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry, but as a 16 year old, your best bet is a Fast Food outlet and if you're lucky, you might get Kmart.

Beggars can't be choosers. Either Maccas/KFC or no job. That's the way it's been for a long time.

Life is unfair. The sooner you understand that, you better your life will be.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I really need a job. I'm bored sh*tless in the school holidays and on weekends and I really need some extra money.

Trouble is, i'm new to this. I'm 16 and in Year 11, I don't really have any good references aside from a couple of neighbours who I have done odd jobs for (for money) in the past. Some internet resources tell me not to bother with a resume for a first job, but just about every store website tells you to attach your resume to the application form. For acheivements and hobbies, i'm not really sporty and don't do any extracurricular activities, and my hobbies mainly consist of computers and gaming, not something worth bragging about.

I applied to about 10 or so places a couple of months ago, heard nothing, I assume that means I won't hear anything back from them. What kind of places do you recommend a 16 year old with no experience to apply to? I don't really want to work in fast food, the pay is sh*t, it's high pressure all the time and i've heard the staff aren't treated too well.

But yeah any advice/criticism on what i've said?
Big mistake.

You want to get involved in as much as you can in your younger years. It really helps you get a decent job.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are planning to pursue a graduate role later on in life, then definitely use the time you have now to get involved in extra curricular activities whether it be within your school (e.g. clubs like debating society or mock trials, or interschool sports competitions, or even cadets) or outside of school in your community (e.g. sports, charity work, etc)... or failing that, something of interest to you which requires a bit of commitment (e.g. martial arts, musical instrument, etc). These will be much more beneficial to you if that's your end goal. If all you want is something to fill time for now, which is both able to earn you some cash and get you some experience (which will no doubt help you get a better job, even non-qualified, later on) then go for fast food. I've mentioned in other threads not to underestimate the value of doing a fast food job where you have a proper and structured training and progression path within the store/franchise, and you actually get quite a lot of responsibilities.

ps. How good are your communication skills? Now might be the time to work on that as I found the extra curricular activities I took on board in year 11 (e.g. charity club, door knock appeal, etc) led me to become much more confident and able to speak well... which I think helped me tremendously with getting the job I have now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)