Advice please (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask...but the time has come for me to drop subjects for yr 12 and i'm really considering dropping 2u mathematics to general or dropping the subject completely - currently doing 2u mathematics and just passing....should i get tutoring for it?
i hope to study eco at Usyd, and even though eco involves maths....is it necessary to do 2u mathematics or is general enough?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'll tutor you in 2u maths :) even though im in yr 11 (as you know), i've just done the 2u year12 trials and i think i did alright. Free of charge :p

kpq_sniper017

general maths isn't "recognised" as a maths course by universities, as far as i know. 2u maths is a prerequisite of a lot of degrees...especially from the faculty of commerce/business etc. so if i were u, i'd persevere with 2u maths. i think it'd be more difficult catching up on general maths work, since it's a lot different to 2u+. if u feel the need for tutoring then by all means get a tutor. if it's gonna get u better marks, then y not?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes i 2nd Pcx. IMO General maths isn't really worth it. It isnt recognised for any course, so just doing it because its maths isnt really a good idea. Where are you going wrong? Like do you know why you aren't doing aswell as you would like to? Tutoring will help if you dont get the explanations in class, but hard work is better :)

Kulazzi

HSC
some people say its better to do crap at a higher level than to do excellent at a low level :)
so I suggest you keep 2U maths cos I am :D

PS: what'd you get in the maths exam astro?

afta???

HSC
i think it is only an assumed knowledge for economics and before u start the course u could always do one of those bridging courses
and economics doesnt require too depth knowledge in maths
i personally think tutoring is good coz every maths course is quite heavy n u wont cover it adequately in school
i would luv to see u keep maths even general

astro

HSC
Kulazzi said:
PS: what'd you get in the maths exam astro?
I got 53% and the test, i must admit wasn't extremely hard...what did you get

Thanks for all your help everyone...and i've decided to keep mathematics, get a tutor and work harder......

Jago, does your offer still stand? :) btw...good luck with the results

Last edited:

afta???

HSC
glad to hear u r keeping maths
it is the best subject ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
of course, you know how to get a hold on me.

Kulazzi

HSC
I got 53% and the test, i must admit wasn't extremely hard...what did you get
I got 64%, highest in our class was 98% and the lowest was 16%, I thought it was ok as well but I wish I can just get at least 70%!!!!! Always in the sixties.....oh well :cool:

kpq_sniper017

afta??? said:
i think it is only an assumed knowledge for economics and before u start the course u could always do one of those bridging courses
and economics doesnt require too depth knowledge in maths
i personally think tutoring is good coz every maths course is quite heavy n u wont cover it adequately in school
i would luv to see u keep maths even general
i was gonna mention those bridging courses....
....but y not just get it out of the way in high school??
at least the option is there, but for anyone who is in a similar position to astro....IMO, doing it in school is better than taking time out to do it while ur at uni.

afta???

HSC
just let them leave it in the last minute n cramp all the stuff in 2 weeks

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
you'll have to do bridging courses for some degrees as well if you do 2 unit (assume that you MAY change your mind about what you want to do). as people have said above, i reccomend you get a tutor that will at least bring your level of maths to where you feel confident with.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
aww well dont i feel dumb.. i just dropped 2u for general... although i was coming last in the class...

astro

HSC
Without Wings said:
the maths in economics degree is harder then in mathematics - equivalent to extension maths :)
Extension maths?! *faints and dies*......so are you saying that an average mathematics student will not cope

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
he has to be joking, it's more like general maths in eco...

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
my bad ww :p i guess eco in uni would be quite hard...i was talking about hs eco

astro

HSC
Without Wings, this may be annoying, but i was just want to confirm - ext maths equivalent to eco at uni in first year or the whole degree?

afta???

HSC
my eco teacher tells us that eco in hsc ... u dont need anything more than yr10 maths
as for uni......i hav no idea but the work my cousin does (B Business) doesnt seem to hav maths at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)