• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advice regarding landing an investment banking job (1 Viewer)

soad28

HSC
Hi all,
I really want to work at a investment bank but im not sure how to really start. To be honest, im not the .95 kid that everyone says is what is required to land a job but ill still get around 96-97 atar. I will apply for UNSW coop and am assuming i wont make it in for banking/finance as ive heard its quite competitive. Can i try for something less competetive like the CS or software engieering coop and then switch do a double degree? If not, which degree is best and how i should start in uni to be the most proactive with landing an investmemt banking job?

Also, is it hard for poeple who take interships at accouting firms to switch IB? I am being considered for the UTS coop but im not sure i want to work at the big 4 if it doesnt help me with my goals within IB.

jonolad69

HSC
Yo also name me one thing that makes you “reallly want to work for an investment bank”

it’s genuinely soooo obvious you’ve just searched up the starting salary for Macquarie bank and watched wolf of Wall Street a bit too many times. And don’t say some bullshit how you love the “client centric aspect” of the field. Like give me 3 reasons rn

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
You won't be able to switch to a double degree for CO-OP whilst still being in CO-OP, CO-OPs are single degrees. For the degree or major, it doesn't really matter but some good ones are (Commerce or Economics), Comm/Compsci, Comm/law, Comm/advstudies --> those are more common for ib, for other roles in high finance you could also consider Mathematics, Engineering etc. In terms of starting out next year, there are a few important things. Firstly, networking. Depending on what university you end up going to, UNIT or FMAA would probably be best in terms of trying to join their subcom. Also consider consulting groups like SCC, UCC etc. Cold emailing/adding people on LinkedIn and reaching out for coffee chats and any opportunities (especially if you have no connections in the industry already) is super helpful. And of course, it goes without saying that your grades are super important. Whilst IB or high finance doesn't have much pre-penult stuff going on, it's still super important. From what I know and have been told, for IB and the like, UNSW v USYD I would go UNSW.

Going accounting --> IB is tricky, however it isn't impossible. It does help that you get 2 internships with the co-op program, but you'll probably need another one specifically in IB or something related.

there is my 2 cents

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
You won't be able to switch to a double degree for CO-OP whilst still being in CO-OP, CO-OPs are single degrees. For the degree or major, it doesn't really matter but some good ones are (Commerce or Economics), Comm/Compsci, Comm/law, Comm/advstudies --> those are more common for ib, for other roles in high finance you could also consider Mathematics, Engineering etc. In terms of starting out next year, there are a few important things. Firstly, networking. Depending on what university you end up going to, UNIT or FMAA would probably be best in terms of trying to join their subcom. Also consider consulting groups like SCC, UCC etc. Cold emailing/adding people on LinkedIn and reaching out for coffee chats and any opportunities (especially if you have no connections in the industry already) is super helpful. And of course, it goes without saying that your grades are super important. Whilst IB or high finance doesn't have much pre-penult stuff going on, it's still super important. From what I know and have been told, for IB and the like, UNSW v USYD I would go UNSW.

Going accounting --> IB is tricky, however it isn't impossible. It does help that you get 2 internships with the co-op program, but you'll probably need another one specifically in IB or something related.

there is my 2 cents
what even is the benefit of doing advanced studies? I’m seeing so many people pick it up with commerce

fuzi

HSC
what even is the benefit of doing advanced studies? I’m seeing so many people pick it up with commerce
Advanced studies is a bit of a weird one, and I think in part depends on what degree you do it with. Generally tho, advanced studies counts as a degree, and simply requires you to do more advanced coursework on top of the standard coursework required for a Bachelor of Commerce. It does not require you to do honours, as honours is a whole research based thing, however (and this may depend on your degree so def do your own research in the course handbooks) you can do honours embedded within the 4th year that would be otherwise just advanced coursework. So for example, in Bachelor Economics and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (which is my course), you can do honours in your 'advanced studies' provided you do a second major and the pre-honours stream.

I guess the benefits are the option to do more advanced coursework and explore different niches, while at the same getting recognition for that, but of course I'm not a commerce student so I can't speak for what it's like for commerce students

carrotsss

HSC
Advanced studies is a bit of a weird one, and I think in part depends on what degree you do it with. Generally tho, advanced studies counts as a degree, and simply requires you to do more advanced coursework on top of the standard coursework required for a Bachelor of Commerce. It does not require you to do honours, as honours is a whole research based thing, however (and this may depend on your degree so def do your own research in the course handbooks) you can do honours embedded within the 4th year that would be otherwise just advanced coursework. So for example, in Bachelor Economics and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (which is my course), you can do honours in your 'advanced studies' provided you do a second major and the pre-honours stream.

I guess the benefits are the option to do more advanced coursework and explore different niches, while at the same getting recognition for that, but of course I'm not a commerce student so I can't speak for what it's like for commerce students
from what ive heard (maybe this is just a science thing) most people tend to use it for the honours as long as they get a good enough wam for it, could be wrong though

fuzi

HSC
from what ive heard (maybe this is just a science thing) most people tend to use it for the honours as long as they get a good enough wam for it, could be wrong though
yeah same for econ, you need like 70+ plus wam to eligible for honours, at least for all the pre-honours subjects

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just to be clear, do you just want to work at an investment bank, or actually be an investment banker? Two very different things, and with very different pathways. Even if you were to say the latter, do you actually mean the front office investment banker, or something in the realms of finance/financial services?

For what it's worth, I worked in an investment bank in a back office role but didn't get the 99 ATAR/UAI. Whilst the role wasn't a front office/IB role, I'd say the culture/expectations are pretty pervasive throughout the organisation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)