Advice when asking for a remark? (1 Viewer)

shxko

HSC
Not gonna lie, I tried pretty hard for trials, and still managed to stuff things up. The marks I got were a huge drop from how I normally do. I'd call alot of those marks outliers compared to any of my marks throughout my entire 6 years at school. One was extremely bad - '8/25 in History' bad. I don't even know how it's possible to write a 5-page essay on the correct topic and still get an 8. I'm going to ask for a remark; but how can I convince my [eccentric and always-in-the-right] teacher that it's fair? I refuse to give up and let my internal marks be this crap, but this teacher has made the statement that "people who ask for remarks will get it back with a worse mark".

Does anyone have any advice or tactics? I have proper reasons, which I'd argue are justified, in asking for a remark. However, the greatest hurdle seems to be convicing teachers to reconsider my mark without making them mad. Because an angry teacher will never help me. Is it better to come off confident or just request? Stop if they refuse or escalate the issue?

Edit: I got told I didn't even deserve 8 marks and that I should've gotten 6/25 HAHAHA.

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
It’s probably best not to ask for a remark (at the moment), but rather, ask your teacher to have a one on one chat regarding your exam, what they felt like you could improve on, and what your responses were lacking with respect to the marking guidelines. They’ll (usually) be more than happy to sit down and help you improve.

Remember that your teacher gave you that mark for a reason so it would be a good idea to hear them out. (rare that it’s by accident)

Treat it as a learning experience :) but if you feel as though their verbal feedback and justification is unreasonable (like they say you answered the question to a C grade but gave you 32%), then you can probably escalate it to a head teacher.

beetree1

HSC
They cannot give your exam back with a lower mark, I think if they do, you can even complain to like NESA or something.

If you genuinely believe you hit the question well enough to get a certain A,B,C range, I would say fight for it. I would recommend going to your teacher and asking what part of the criteria you did not meet well enough, and asking for further feedback, in which if they say something that you believe u most definitely did, tell them. By doing this, they will know that you have considered their mark and your own essay for a long time, and clearly understand the topic enough to argue for your own paper, if that makes sense.

ultra908

HSC
I'm relatively sure you cannot ask for a remark in HSC year. You can only appeal on 'process' grounds- e.g. you were not given the full exam time.

nicoling

HSC
Not gonna lie, I tried pretty hard for trials, and still managed to stuff things up. The marks I got were a huge drop from how I normally do. I'd call alot of those marks outliers compared to any of my marks throughout my entire 6 years at school. One was extremely bad - '8/25 in History' bad. I don't even know how its possible to write a 5-page essay on the correct topic and still get an 8. I'm going to ask for a remark; but how can I convince my [eccentric and always-in-the-right] teacher that it's fair? I refuse to give up and let my internal marks be this crap, but this teacher has made the statement that "people who ask for remarks will get it back with a worse mark".

Does anyone have any advice or tactics? I have proper reasons, which I'd argue are justified, in asking for a remark. However, the greatest hurdle seems to be convicing teachers to reconsider my mark without making them mad. Because an angry teacher will never help me. Is it better to come off confident or just request? Stop if they refuse or escalate the issue?
Remember: Your trials aren't what defines you

idkkdi

HSC
Remember: Your trials aren't what defines you
Yep, if anything defines you, it's going to be your ATAR.

inb4 someone comments your ATAR doesn't define you, I present that this statement is rather bullsit. We live a life, as you should know. What then does define you? If it is not what you do/achieve that defines you, then you are frankly nihilistic.

nicoling

HSC

inb4 someone comments your ATAR doesn't define you, I present that this statement is rather bullsit. We live a life, as you should know. What then does define you? If it is not what you do/achieve that defines you, then you are frankly nihilistic.
hahahah shxko is my friend^ it was kind of a joke but also don't really agree with u anyways.

RossoneriAU

HSC

Defining someone's character solely on the basis of academics, namely the HSC, is frankly very ignorant. There are more aspects to one's character than simply just having the ability to memorise and apply quotes into essays, or formulae into questions. Achievements don't always have to be as objective as a number on a website.

idkkdi

HSC
Defining someone's character solely on the basis of academics, namely the HSC, is frankly very ignorant. There are more aspects to one's character than simply just having the ability to memorise and apply quotes into essays, or formulae into questions. Achievements don't always have to be as objective as a number on a website.
No one said solely :). Definition is made of many defining moments. I don't see why HSC is not one of them.

RossoneriAU

HSC
No one said solely :). Definition is made of many defining moments. I don't see why HSC is not one of them.
All come down to perspective. I'd personally see it as significant, but I don't think my ATAR was defining. Feel my ATAR overstated how smart I am lmao

Last edited:

maaax

HSC
N/A
Personally, I think if you genuinely know you received an unfair mark you should definitely try and lobby for a remark! Especially if you have valid and reasonable counterarguments for the comments explaining where you lost marks.

However, do keep in mind that remarks can go both ways... and most importantly - remember to always stay polite and try not to harp on too much about how you think the marker was wrong 😅

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon asking your teacher for feedback about why you got the mark, and if the reason doesn't justify your mark then argue for more marks. I felt this way when I got 12/20 for an english speech that weighed 15% and tried to ask for a re-mark, but didn't end up getting more marks and had to suck it up and work harder later. Kinda sad that they said you deserved a 6 though... rip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)