Advice (1 Viewer)

H

Hussain1995

I have been having a hard think about what i want to do at uni and medicine kinda stands out.
Though i seem to be interested, i cannot completely convince myself thats the correct choice as im afraid i don't know what its like. How can i decide if medicine is truely what i want to do because i don't want to choose something that I'm not sure of.

Alkanes

HSC
Ask yourself, why do i want to do medicine?

jnney

lemon
HSC
I have been having a hard think about what i want to do at uni and medicine kinda stands out.
Though i seem to be interested, i cannot completely convince myself thats the correct choice as im afraid i don't know what its like. How can i decide if medicine is truely what i want to do because i don't want to choose something that I'm not sure of.
A good thing to do would be to ask those who are already doing the courses you are interested in to give you a general idea of what they might be like.

Alkanes

HSC
And one thing i forgot to mention. Please do not choose the course because you are motivated by future financial gainings.

enoilgam

HSC
The first thing you have to do is see whether or not you have the ability to get in. Medicine is, in my opinion, by far the most difficult degree to get into. In order to have a chance, you need a very high ATAR and very high UMAT score. Although the ATAR cutoff at UNSW and UWS is ~95.5 (correct me if I am wrong) the median ATAR of those who get in is around 99.3. Also, you need to pass an interview process. Next you have to ask yourself whether you are dedicated enough to do it. Training for medicine can take between 10-15 years (longer if you want to be a surgeon) and requires a significant amount of your energy, both physically, mentally and especially emotionally.

If you want to do medicine solely for the money+prestige, then the course is probably not for you. It requires a level of dedication which most likely wont be there if these two factors are the only reason you want to do medicine.

aznboystar

Honourary Azn
HSC
fk dem h8ers. dont listen to a word they say. women, prestige, money. u can hav it all if u do med. sounds like a sweet deal to me

jnney

lemon
HSC
Lol troll.

There are better/shorter courses to do if you're in it for the money.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
The first thing you have to do is see whether or not you have the ability to get in. Medicine is, in my opinion, by far the most difficult degree to get into. In order to have a chance, you need a very high ATAR and very high UMAT score. Although the ATAR cutoff at UNSW and UWS is ~95.5 (correct me if I am wrong) the median ATAR of those who get in is around 99.3. Also, you need to pass an interview process. Next you have to ask yourself whether you are dedicated enough to do it. Training for medicine can take between 10-15 years (longer if you want to be a surgeon) and requires a significant amount of your energy, both physically, mentally and especially emotionally.

If you want to do medicine solely for the money+prestige, then the course is probably not for you. It requires a level of dedication which most likely wont be there if these two factors are the only reason you want to do medicine.
Median ATAR of successful applicants at UNSW is 99.70 and UWS 99.00

enoilgam

HSC
u has no ideas what u r talkin about.
I know a few people who have done medicine and are doctors now. Believe me, they have it way tougher than other professionals. Money and prestige arent worth the sacrifice they have made and will continue to make in my opinion. Your opinion may differ.

mecramarathon

HSC
money motivation = engineer or financial manager etc ...

genuine desire to help others + passion for a field that is constantly revolutionising = medicine

want both = dentistry

Infatuate

HSC
I'm freaked out by the sight of blood, yet, I want to be doctor- partly for the money, and partly because I have some interest in the field (but I can't recognize it). :(
Oh, and I'll be the 4th doctor in the family! :)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
money motivation = engineer or financial manager etc ...

genuine desire to help others + passion for a field that is constantly revolutionising = medicine

want both = dentistry
jesus fucking christ are you serious

also

You should probably assess whether you can *get* into med before thinking if you'll enjoy it or not

patdoon

HSC
fk dem h8ers. dont listen to a word they say. women, prestige, money. u can hav it all if u do med. sounds like a sweet deal to me
you must be one of those asians where their parents have made them 'doctor' material since they were a little boy. clearly medicine is a profession where you care for ppl and look after ppl for self satisfaction and helping you sleep at night. its not a profession for making money, if thats what your doing i hope you get fired or get sued cos thats a poor attitude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)