Aeronautical/Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
I'm thinking about doing engineering when I leave high school, and I'm thinking about doing aeronautical/aerospace, or if not, mechanical. I think if I worked hard I could get the UAI I need, but there are a few things I need to know first:

1. I heard from somewhere that Australia is terrible at aeronautical/aerospace, so is it advisable for me to do it here or is it only good if it's done overseas? As in, are there job oppurtunities for aerospace/aeronautical in Australia?

2. According to the "Good Universities Guide 2007", a survey of graduates from selected campuses from several courses revealed that their opinion of "Teaching Quality Compared" and "Overall Satisfaction Compared" was one star out of five. So does this mean courses for engineering are extremely boring/unfulfilling?

3. I don't really know much about engineering as a career - does it involve working for the government exclusively? Is it stable and what kind of jobs does it involve?

Thanks heaps for any help.

idling fire

HSC
Hmmm. I'm in a similar situation.

I'd like to do aeronautical/aerospace, but have heard that students doing it at USYD are going back and doing economics, as they can't get jobs in Australia.

Then again, I don't even know if I'd be any good at engineering.
:confused:

HSC
while you should be apt at maths and physics, interest is probably the most important thing in engineering.

xoa

HSC
1/ With the decline of the manufacturing industry in Australia, your long term job prospects might not be so good in mechanical. Just today, Ford announced it will shutter an engine plant in Victoria, probably putting a few dozen mechanical engineers out of work. Aeronautical isn't very strong either, even though it's growing from its small base.

2/ Most engineering courses rate low for student satisfaction, because the workload is heavy.

3/ Most engineering grads work for the private sector. Some grads find work in government transport departments.

beentherdunthat

HSC
You'd have to change your whole lifestyle. I was contemplating doing it at the beginning of the year, but when I heard that there was a shortage of jobs in AusT. I was like stuff it. I guess if you're really dedicated to doing it, why not? and isn't the UAI cut off like 98 and over..?

xoa

HSC
Musk said:
1/ manufacturing does not involve just "cars"

2/ Engineering, love it or ftgo

3/ What a load of horse shit, see here
1/ Vehicle manufacturing is the lynchpin of Australia's heavy industrial base.

2/ ...

3/ Yes, engineers are free to become public servants. But the fact remains, that the private sector tends to employ most engineering grads.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
I decide to study Aeronautical Engineering and then train to become a pilot. You can choose to do that since, pilots are a need in the future.

skychen

HSC
3unitz said:
long term job prospects as a mechanical engineer are fine. you are an idiot.
How can you say that? DO you have any investigation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)